冬至的饺子【鲅鱼饺子】Fish and Chinese Chive Dumplings(2017-12-24 10:43:21)
I grow up eating Tang Yuan (Glutinous rice balls) to celebrate winter solstice. And I came to know that the Northern Chinese eats dumplings/Jiaozi in the winter solstice.
Since I am craving for some dumplings and it is
winter soltice yesterday, I made this fish and Chinese chive
filling jiaozi for lunch and
That makes 2017 winter solstice celebration a "Fishy fish theme"
1 只 大约280-300克的鲅鱼/马鲛鱼
150 克 的 绞肉
1/2 小勺 食盐
1/2 小勺 十三香
1/4 小勺 白胡椒粉
1- 2 大勺 生抽
1/2 小勺 麻油/香油
1.5 大杯 切碎的韭菜
1.5 杯 / 200 克 中筋面粉
1 大勺 的 蛋白
1/2 杯 温水 （按气温湿度适量调整）
Ingredients：(Makes 25-30 dumplings)
1 Spanish Mackerel (around 280-300 g)
150 g of minced pork
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of Chinese 13 spices mix
1/4 tsp of white pepper powder
1-2 tbsp of Light Soy sauce
1 small piece of ginger root around 1/2 thumb size
around 20 sichuan pepper powder
1.5 tbsp of cooking oil
1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
1.5 cup chopped Chinese Chive
For the wrappers：
1.5 cup / 200 g of all purpose flour
1 tbsp of egg white
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 cups of warm water （more if needed）
1. Knead together all purpose flour, salt, egg white and warm water to make a firm dough. Let it rest for 10 minutes and knead for a few minutes until smooth, repeat the resting and kneading steps 2-3 times. The more the dough is kneaded, the smoother your wrappers will be.
2. To make minced fish,
cut the fish head just behind the
gills, hold the fish by the tail. With the knife blade pointing
away from you and across the body of the fish, begin to cut toward
the head. Use the backbone to guide your knife, do the same for the
other side to cut out two
3. Use a metal spoon to scrape the flesh from the bones and the skin. Place the fish meat on chopping board and mince it using a knife. Add minced pork and continue mincing for a few minutes until the meat are fine enough to form a ball. Place the minced meat in a mixing bowl.
4. Place Sichuan peppercorns in a bowl and pour 1/2 cup of boiling water on it to steep for 5 minutes, discard the peppercorns and use only the water. Meanwhile, blend scallion and ginger root with 1/2 cup of water in a blender to make scallion ginger water.
5. Add salt, 13 spices mix, soy sauce and pepper powder to the minced meat. Start adding Sichuan pepper water and scallion ginger water into the meat in batches, stir the meat in a clockwise direction with the help of a spatula or a pair of chopstick, the meat paste should now look sticky and a little runny. Cover the mixing bowl and let the meat develop flavor for 10-15 minutes.
6. Clean and chop Chinese chives into small pieces. Place the Chives on top of minced meat and drizzle 1.5 tbsp of cooking oil and 1/2 tsp of sesame oil over the chive. DO NOT mix the chives until you start wrapping.
8. 把剂子用手掌压扁后用擀面杖擀成3寸大 (7.5 公分) 的饺子皮。擀面时可酌量撒点面粉防粘。
7. Dust the working surface with some flour and cut the dough into half. Cover the remaining half with a lid. Roll the dough into a long stick, 2.5 to 3 cms (1 inch) in diameter. Use a sharp knife to cut the dough stick into about 12 equal parts.
8. Sprinkle some flour over the small dough to prevent sticking together. Take one small dough and press it with your palm to form to a round disc. Roll it with a rolling pin to form a thin round sheet, I like mine really thin, so it is about 1 mm in thickness and around 8 cm in diameter. Make a few wrappers at a time and starts wrapping the dumpling to prevent drying of the skin. Make sure you cover the small dough with some cover to prevent crackings and drying.
9. Once you have make around 4-5 wrappers, you
can start wrapping the dumplings. Mix the Chinese chives with meat
and place about 1 tbsp of fillings
11. Cook until the dumplings started floating on top of water, add 2-3 tablespoon of cold water into the pot, bring it to boil again before taking the dumplings out.
Serve hot with dipping sauce.