经典小吃【炸虾饼】Chinese Style Prawn Fritters(2018-06-02 07:22:02)
One of the famous supper choices in my hometown is this Chinese Style Prawn Fritters. The hawker selling this also sells fried tofu, fried fish cakes/balls and the likes.
To order a plate of fried goodies from the stall and dip into their special Sweet sauce and Chili sauce was one luxury thing to do as a kid. Probably one reason this snack still holds a very special place in my heart.
I have attempted a few times on this fritters but the recipes I followed are mostly flawed, they failed to deliver the taste and texture of the fritters as I remembered.
I recently found out that the Asian supermarket near my house is carrying the fresh water shrimps that is perfect for this shrimp fritters. I brought a packet home and this time, is determined to create a recipe of my own.
The result is amazing and I just have to write the recipe down right away!
300 克 小河虾(洗净后加1大勺料酒和1/4小勺食盐腌制10分钟）
2 杯 中筋面粉
2 大勺 粘米粉
1 大勺 蛋白粉 （Custard Powder）或 粟米粉
1 小勺 泡打粉 （baking powder）
2/3 杯 冰水
1 小勺 食油
2 杯 韭菜 （切小段）
2 杯 绿豆芽
1/2 小勺 或适量 食盐
1/8 小勺 胡椒粉
1/8 小勺 鸡精粉 可无
Ingredients：(makes 25 pieces)
300 g Fresh water Shrimp/Prawn (marinate with 1/4 tsp of salt and 1 tbsp of Chinese Cooking wine)
2 cups of All purpose flour
2 tbsp Rice flour
1 tsp of Baking Powder
1 2/3 cup of Ice water
1 tsp of cooking oil
2 cups of Chinese Chives （cut into 1 inch in length)
2 cups of Bean Sprouts
some cooking oil (for deep frying)
1/8 tsp pepper powder
chicken bouillon powder
1. Place all purpose flour, rice flour and custard powder in a large mixing bowl, add salt, pepper powder and oil.
2. Add ice water into the flour and stir using a spatula until a thick batter is formed. Add the water bit by bit to avoid making runny batter. The batter should not be runny and you should feel some resistance while stirring. It is ok if there are some lumps in the batter at this stage. Cover the batter with lid and let it rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4. Clean the Chinese chives and bean sprouts, cut the chives into 1 inch in length. Drain and keep aside.
5. Take the batter out from the fridge, stir until smooth and add bean sprouts and Chinese Chives. Adjust the batter with some water if it is too hard to stir.
6. Heat up the cooking oil for deep frying at medium high. Place a metal ladle in the hot oil to heat it up before using. (The batter will stick to the ladle if it is not hot enough.)
7. Scoop about 1.5 tbsp of the batter with Chives and bean sprouts into the ladle. Lightly spread it out and top the batter with 3-4 shrimps/prawns and lower the ladle int hot oil for frying.
8. Once the batter is half cooked, it will separate itself from the ladle and float on the oil, turn and fry both sides until golden brown in color, dish out and drain on paper towel. Repeat the steps for remaining batter and ingredients.
Serve hot with some garlic chili sauce.