台式白菜卤 Taiwanese Braised Napa Cabbage(2017-08-18 08:41:28)
One of the side dishes that I enjoyed much during my visit to Taiwan was this Taiwanese Braised Cabbage. The Napa cabbage in this dish is so tender and sweet, goes well with steamed rice and braised pork.
The Asian supermarket near me is currently selling lots of Napa Cabbage as the season approaching fall. I brought one back to make this dish at home. I also find the fried pork rinds which is (in my opinion) essential to this dish as it soaked up most of the gravy and gives very nice chewy texture to the dish!
1 大颗 大约 600-650 克的 大白菜
5-6 只 香菇
5 克 虾米/虾干 （热水泡发）
1-2 根 青葱 （切段）
2 大块 炸猪皮
1 大勺 生抽
1/4 小勺 胡椒粉
1/2 小勺 糖
1 head of Napa Cabbage around 600-650 g
5-6 dried mushrooms
5 g dried shrimp (soak in hot water)
2-3 cloves of garlic
3-4 slices of ginger
1-2 scallion （cut into 2 inches long）
2 pieces of fried pork rind
2 tbsp of
1 tbsp of
1 tbsp of Soy sauce
1/4 tsp of white pepper powder
1/2 tsp of sugar
Salt to taste
1. Place fried pork rinds in hot water to soak for a few minutes, drain and cut into pieces. Also soak dried mushrooms and dried shrimps in warm water separately. If you use small dried flounder instead of plaice powder, shallow fry the dried fish until crunchy and pound or grind it into powder.
2. Slice ginger,garlic and cut scallion accordingly. Clean and break napa cabbage with hands, separate the lower fleshy part of cabbage from the leafy part. You can also cut into big pieces using a knife.
5. 倒入1.5杯水, 加入生抽、糖和胡椒粉调味，加入猪皮后，加盖中火焖煮45分钟-1个小时至白菜变软。可以适量加盐调味。
3. Heat 2 tbsp of pork lard in a wok and fry the ginger, garlic and scallion until fragrant. Add dried shrimps and mushrooms, continue to stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Add the fleshy part of cabbage and plaice powder in, turn and cook for 2 minutes, add the remaining cabbage leaves.
5. Add 1.5 cups of water and bring it to boil. Season the dish with soy sauce, sugar and white pepper powder.
6. Add pork rinds and cover with lid, turn the heat to medium low
and cook for 45 minutes - 1 hour until the cabbage become tender.