【RAM周边攻略】中实大楼 NIB Building(2011-02-25 18:11:14)
“Cai Guo-qiang: Peasant Da Vincis” and “By Day By Night: Or Some
(Special) Things A Museum Can Do”, the NIB building was part of the
exhibition site, impressing visitors with its grandeur and
Built in 1929 and designed by the Atkinson and Dallas Architects and Civil Engineers Ltd (the largest and most influential British developer with the most buildings at that time in Shanghai), the 6-floor NIB building has a concrete frame structure and a façade combining the neoclassic and eclectic style. It used to serve as headquarters for the National Industrial Bank.
As one of the four major banks in the KMT period, the NIB was an issuing bank that was founded on Avenue de Grand France Road (now East Jiefang Road) in the French Concession in Tianjin on April 26th, 1919 and was later relocated to Consular Road in the British Concession (now Emergence Center for Eye Diseases at No. 15, Datong Avenue) in the city. Of the paid-in capital of 2 million yuan, the Department of Finance contributed 0.4 million and the private sector 1.6 million. The founders include Xiong Xiling, Qian Nengxun, Zhou Xuexi and Li Shiwei. It started to issue bank notes in 1920 upon the approval of the authorities.
In 1932, because of unstable situations in North China, the NIB moved its headquarters to this NIB building in Shanghai. After the 1935 Bank Run Incident, the KMT government ordered its restructuring and the NIB was called one of the “Four Minor Banks” together with Ningpo Commercial and Savings Bank, Commercial Bank of China and Bank of Domestic Goods. During the Sino-Japanese war, its headquarters were relocated to Hankou of Wuhan, Hong Kong and Chongqing.
Since the establishment of the PRC, the NIB building has housed the East China Electric Power Design Institute and the Shanghai Branch of Agricultural Bank of China, among other organizations.