Unit 2 Saving the Earth拯救地球
Topic 1 Pollution has caused too many problems.污染引起了太多的问题。
Section A
(Kangkang, Jane, Maria and Michael are planning a picnic for Sunday.)(康康、简、玛丽亚和迈克尔正在为周日计划一次野炊。)
Kangkang, where shall we go ? 康康,我们要去哪儿?
What about the West Hill? I went there two years ago. It was a beautiful place. There were lots of flowers and grass. The air was fresh and the water was clean, and you could see bees and butterflies dancing. 去西山怎么样?我两年前去过那儿。那是是一个漂亮的地方,有许多花草。那里空气新鲜,流水清澈,而且你还能看到蜜蜂和蝴蝶在飞舞。
Sounds great! Let's go there. 听起来不错!我们去那儿吧!
(On Sunday, they come to the West Hill.)(星期天,他们来到了西山。)
Oh, What a mess! The flowers and grass have gone! The water is so dirty. It smells terrible. What has happened here? 噢,多么脏乱啊!花和草都没了,水太脏了,难闻极了。这儿发生了什么事?
What a shame! Look, there are several chemical factories pouring waste water into the stream. 多么遗憾啊!看,有几座化工厂正往小溪里排放废水。
Everything has changed. 一切都变样了。
Do you still want to have a picnic here? 你们还想在这儿野炊吗?
Of course not.当然不。
Section B
(Mrs. Zhou is coughing. She looks weak.)(周太太正在咳嗽。她看起来很虚弱。)
Good morning, Mrs. Zhou. What's wrong with you? 早上好,周太太。您怎么了?
Oh, Kangkang. It's difficult for me to breathe. I’ve got a pain my throat. 哦,康康。我呼吸困难。我的喉咙痛。
How long have you been like this? 您像这样多长时间了?
I've been like this since last week. 自从上个星期以来我就一直这样。
Have you seen a doctor? 您看过医生了吗?
Not yet. The chemical factory produces terrible gas. The bad air makes my chest hurt. What's worse, the factory makes too much noise and I can't sleep well at night. 还没有。化工厂难闻的气体。糟糕的空气使我觉得胸疼。更糟糕的是,化工厂制造了太多噪音,我晚上也睡不好觉。
That's too bad.那太糟糕了。
Yes, it is really awful. I'm always in a bad mood because I can't bear the environment here. Anyway, I hope the government will solve this problem soon. By the way, have you noticed the dead fish in the river? 是的,真的太可怕了。我总是心情很差,因为我不能忍受这里的环境了。无论如何,我希望政府能快点儿解决这个问题。顺便问一下,你注意到河里的死鱼了吗?
Oh, yes. Pollution caused too many problems. I think I should write to the newspaper about these problems. But now you'd better go to see a doctor. 噢,是的,污染引发太多问题了。我想我应该把这些问题写信反映给报社,但现在你最好去看医生。
Section C
In today’s world, almost everyone knows air pollution is harmful to people’s health. However, not all people know noise is also a kind of pollution and is harmful to humans’ health.
在当今世界,几乎每个人都知道,空气污染对人们的健康有害。然而,并不是所有的人都知道噪声也是一种污染并且对人类的健康一样有害。
People who work and live in noisy conditions often go deaf. For example, many of the workers who print newspapers and books lose their hearing. Quite a few people living near airports also have hearing loss. Recently, it was reported that many teenagers in America can hear no better than 65-year-old people do, because these young people always listen to loud pop music.
在噪音条件下工作和生活的人经常变聋。例如,印刷报纸和书的工人多数失去听力。很多生活在机场附近的人也丧失了听力。近来,有报道说,美国许多青少年的听力几乎和65岁的老人一样差,因为这些年轻人总喜欢听劲爆的流行音乐。
Making a loud noise in public is also a kind of pollution. It not only disturbs others but also does great harm to people’s hearing. Cars and machines also produce too much noise. Such pollution makes people feel uncomfortable and unpleasant, and it can even cause them to become sick or deaf. Nowadays, many countries are trying to solve all sorts of environmental problems, including noise pollution.
在公共场制造太大的噪音也是一种污染。它不仅打扰了别人而且严重损害听力。汽车和机器也会产生很多噪音,这样污染使人们感到不舒服,不愉快,甚至可能使他们生病或变聋。现在,许多国家正在努力解决各种环境问题,包括噪音污染。
Section D
Simple Past & Present Perfect一般过去时和现在完成时
1. I went there two years ago. 我两年前去过那儿。
2. There were lots of flowers and grass.那儿有许多花草。
3. What has happened here? 那里发生了什么?
4. I have been like this since last week. 我自从上个星期以来就一直这样。
5. The flowers and grass have gone! 花和草都没了。
Functions功能
1. Oh, What a mess! 噢,多么脏乱啊!
2. There are several chemical factories pouring waste water into the stream. 有几家化工厂正往小溪里排放废水。
3. What's worse, the factory makes too much noise and I can't sleep well at night. 更糟糕的是,化工厂制造了太多噪音,我晚上也睡不好觉。
4. Noise is harmful to humans’ health. 噪音对人们的健康有害。
5. People who work and live in noisy conditions often go deaf. 在噪音条件下,工作和生活的人经常变聋。
6. …many teenagers in America can hear no better than 65-year-old people do,… …美国许多青少年的听力几乎和65岁的老人一样差,…
7. …does great harm to people’s hearing. …严重损害人们的听力。
Topic 2 All these problems are very serious.所有这些问题都非常严重
Section A
(Kangkang, Maria and Jane are talking in a room. The wind outside is blowing strongly.)(康康、玛利亚和简正在房间里谈话。外面的风刮得很厉害。)
What bad weather! The wind is so strong! And the sand really hurt my face. while I was walking down the street just now, I couldn't see anything. 多么糟糕的天气!风太大了!沙子的确刮得脸很疼。刚才在街上走时,我什么也看不见。
I'm sorry to hear that. What causes these sandstorms? 对此我很难过。但是是什么引起这些沙尘暴的呢?
People have cut down too many trees. As a result, a lot of rich land has changed into desert. 人们乱砍滥伐。结果,大量肥沃的土地变成了荒漠。
That's bad. How can that affect the weather? 那太糟糕了,但是那怎么影响天气呢?
Trees can stop the wind from blowing the earth away. 树可以防风固土。
And a lot of water can be saved by forests. 并且森林可以贮存大量的水分。
They can also stop the water from washing the earth away. 树木也能防止水土流失。
Cutting down trees is harmful to human beings, animals and plants. Although we have built "the Green Great Wall", we still need to do something to protect the environment. 砍伐树木对人类、动植物都有害。尽管我们已经建起了“绿色长城”,我们仍需要采取措施保护环境。
Section B
Kangkang, read this article. 康康,读这篇文章。
What’s it about? 关于什么的?
It’s about air pollution in China. It says that China has become the world’s largest producer and user of coal. As a result, air pollution has become a serious problem. 关于中国的空气污染问题。它提到中国已成为世界上最大的煤炭生产国和消费国。结果,空气污染成已成为一个严重的问题。
Yeah. But the government is doing something useful to protect the environment. 是的。但是政府为了保护环境正在采取有效的措施。
That’s great. None of us likes pollution. 那样很好。没有人喜欢污染。
Yes, We shouldn’t leave rubbish here and there. Don’t spit anywhere in public. Don’t walk on grass or pick flowers. Everyone should care for wild animals and plant more trees. 我们不应该到处丢弃垃圾。不要在公共场合随地吐痰。不要践踏草坪或采摘花朵。每个人都应当保护野生动物并且多种一些树木。
That’s right. We should do everything we can to protect the environment. 对。我们应尽一切努力保护环境。
Section C
The earth is 4.6 billion years old. We humans have lived on the earth for only 35 000 years, but during this period, we have changed our planet a lot in many ways. Some things we have done are very good for the earth while others are bad.
地球已有46亿年了。我们人类生活在地球上只有三万五千年,但是在此期间我们在许多方面改变了我们的星球。我们所做的一些事情对地球有益,然而其他一些对地球却有负面影响。
All over the world, people have cut down millions of trees. When it rains or when the wind blows, the earth is taken away. Forests have become deserts, so many kinds of animals and plants are disappearing.
全世界的人们已经砍掉了数百万的树木。下雨或吹风时,土壤被带走,森林变成了荒漠,因此许多种类的动植物正在灭绝。
In big cities, cars and buses have polluted the air. Now many people in cities have health problems. 在大城市,小车和公交车污染了空气,现在城市里许多人都有健康问题。
Factories have also polluted the land and the water. As a result, many rivers and lakes are now dead. 工厂也污染了土地和水。结果,现在许多河流和湖泊失去了生机。
Around the earth, there’s a special kind of oxygen called “ozone”(O3). It is important to the earth. But now air pollution is destroying it and making a very big hole in the ozone layer. Too much harmful radiation from the sun passes through the hole and reaches the earth directly. This is very dangerous because this kind of radiation can cause cancer.
地球周围有一种特殊的氧气叫做臭氧 (O3),它对地球很重要。但现在空气污染正在破坏它,而且使臭氧层出现了一个非常大的洞。大量来自太阳的有害射线穿过这个洞直接进入地球大气层。这是非常危险的,因为这种射线能导致癌症。
Carbon dioxide (CO2) in the air has increased a lot. It mainly comes from burning oil, coal and wood. This has formed a “blanket” around the earth. The heat from the sun can’t escape so the temperature is rising. This is called “the green house effect”. It causes the level of the oceans to rise and the climate of the earth to change.
空气中的二氧化碳(CO2)大量增多。二氧化碳主要来自燃烧的油、煤和木柴。它在地球周围形成毯子式的覆盖层。来自太阳的热量不能散发,所以气温度升高。这就是所谓的“温室效应”。它会引起海平面升高而且地球上的气候也会有变化。
All these problems are very serious, so we must do something now. 所有这些问题都非常严重,所以我们现在必须做些事情(来保护我们的家园)。
Section D
Indefinite Pronoun and Adverb不定代词和副词
1. None of us likes pollution. 没有人喜欢污染。
2. Don’t spit anywhere in public. 不要在公共场合随地吐痰。
3. Everyone should care for wild animals and plant more trees. 每个人都应该关爱野生动物并且多种一些树木。
4. We should do everything we can to protect the environment. 我们应尽一切努力保护环境。
Functions功能
1. As a result, a lot of rich land has changed into desert. 结果,大量肥沃的土地变成了荒漠。
2. Trees can stop the wind from blowing the earth away. 树可以防风固土。
3. We shouldn’t leave rubbish here and there. 我们不应该到处丢弃垃圾。
4. All these problems are very serious, so we must do something now. 所有这些问题都非常严重,所以我们现在必须有所行动。
Topic 3 What can we do at home to protect the environment?我们在家能做什么保护环境?
Section A
(A journalist is interviewing Jane about environmental protection.) (一名记者正在就有关环境保护的问题采访简。)
Hi, Jane. Could I ask you a few questions? 你好,简。我可以问你一些问题吗?
Certainly. 当然可以。
We all know that you’re working for an organization that protects the environment. Can you tell us what you are doing there?我们都知道你在为一个环境保护组织工作。你能告诉我们你在那儿做什么工作吗?
Well, my main job is to help spread the message about protecting the environment. For example, the three R’s---reduce, reuse and recycle---are important. 嗯,我的主要工作是帮助宣传有关环保方面的信息。例如,宣传“3R”——减少使用,再次使用和回收再利用,这些都很重要。
So what can we do at home to protect the environment? 就保护环境而言,我们在家能做些什么呢?
We should reduce the waste we produce. For example, we should use both sides of paper and reuse plastic bags. 我们应该减少人为的浪费。比如,我们应该双面使用纸张,重复使用塑料袋。
What can students do at school? 学生在学校里能做些什么?
Recycling can protect the environment, and it can save money, too. So we encourage students to collect waste paper and soft drink cans. Then we sort them so that they can be recycled. 回收再利用能保护环境而且能节约资金。所以我们鼓励学生去收集废纸、饮料瓶等并把它们分类存放,以便回收利用。
Wonderful ideas! Thank you!多么好的想法啊!谢谢!
It’s a pleasure. 不用谢。
Section B
Hi, Michael. Would you like to be a greener person? 嘿,迈克尔。你想成为一名环保使者吗?
Of course, I’d love to. But what should I do? 当然,我很乐意。但是我应该怎么做呢?
First, you ought to shut off the electricity when you leave a room. 首先,你离开房间的时候,应该随手关灯。
Oh, that’s easy. What’s next? 哦,那很容易。下一步怎么做呢?
Second, you’d better walk or ride a bike instead of taking a bus or a taxi if you travel a short distance. 第二,如果你短途旅行,最好步行或骑车而不是乘公共汽车或出租车。
That’s right. It will save energy and reduce air pollution. 对,那样会节约能源并减少空气污染。
Third, take a cloth bag when you go shopping. Don’t use plastic bags. 第三,你去买东西的时候带上一个布袋。不要使用塑料袋。
It’s so easy to be a greener person. 成为一名环保使者真容易。
Easier said than done. 说起来容易做起来难。
Well, actions speak louder than words. 嗯,行动胜于雄辩。
Section C
In many countries, people produce power from coal, but it is very dirty and causes acid rain. Some countries use nuclear energy to produce power. However, nuclear power can be very dangerous. To solve the energy problem, people all over the world are looking for new ways to produce power.
在许多国家,人们用煤来生产动力,但是这种方法很脏并且会导致酸雨。一些国家使用核能源来生产动力,然而,核能却非常危险。为了解决能源问题,全世界的人们都在寻找新的方法来生产动力。
China is one of the first countries in the world to use biogas technology. Farmers recycle straw, grass and animal waste to make biogas. This renewable energy is used in people’s everyday lives. Its key disadvantage is that the process requires a long time (up to 30 days) and the cost is high.
中国是世界上最早使用生物技术的国家之一。农民们回收麦杆、草和动物粪便来制作生物气,这种可再生能源被应用到人们每天的生活当中去。它的主要缺点是这个过程很长(长达30天),并且建设费用高。
Electric vehicles were developed in the 1990s. On April 11, 2010, a new kind of electric vehicle named “Yezi” was shown in the 2010 Shanghai World Expo. It produces electricity from the sun, the wind and CO2. It can not only protect the environment but also save energy. It’s too small to hold many people, but larger models will be developed in the near future.
电动车辆是在20世纪90年代被发明的。2010年4月11日,一种新型的电动车“叶子”在上海世博会上展出。它通过太阳、风和二氧化碳发电。它不仅环保,而且节约能源。它太小,不能承载太多的人,但是,在不久的将来,更大的车型将会被研制出来。
In China, the best-known maglev train is the German-built one in Shanghai. It takes people just 7 minutes to go to the airport 30 km away. The train can reach a top speed of 431 km per hour. It is quiet and quick. There is no wheel noise, because there are no wheels. Maglev trains are very energy-efficient and do not pollute the air. However, maglev guide paths are much more expensive than traditional steel railways.
在中国,最有名的磁悬浮列车由德国建造,在上海投入使用的那辆。仅用7分钟这辆车就可以将人们送30千米以外的机场。这辆车最高速度可达431千米,它安静并且快速。它不会产生车轮的噪音,因为它根本没有车轮。磁悬浮列车能够有效利用能源而且不会污染空气。然而,悬浮轨道的建设费用却远远高于传统铁轨的建设费用。
Section D
Compound Sentence并列句
1. Recycling can protect the environment, and it can save money, too. 回收再利用能保护环境而且能节约资金。
2. Some things we have done are very good for the earth while others are bad. 我们所做的一切事情对地球有益然而一些有害。
3. We should do everything to protect it, or we’ll be published and lose our home. 我们应该尽全力保护它,否则我们会受到惩罚,失去我们的家园。
4. people produce power from coal, but it is very dirty and causes acid rain. 人们用煤来生产动力,但是它很脏并且会导致酸雨。
Functions功能
1. Would you like to be a greener person? 你想成为一名环保使者吗?
2. First, you ought to shut off the electricity when you leave a room. 首先,你离开房间的时应该随手关灯。
3. Easier said than done. 说起来容易做起来难。
4. Actions speak louder than words. 行动胜于雄辩。
5. The train can reach a top speed of 431 km per hour. 火车最高速度可达431千米。
加载中,请稍候......