加载中…
个人资料
  • 博客等级:
  • 博客积分:
  • 博客访问:
  • 关注人气:
  • 获赠金笔:0支
  • 赠出金笔:0支
  • 荣誉徽章:
正文 字体大小:

ZZ32翻译:想起清华种种(节选)

(2018-11-05 11:54:49)
标签:

英文学习

翻译

专八题目

清华大学

分类: 翻译

ZZ32翻译: 想起清华种种 (节选)(王佐良)
Translation: Tidbits on How I Remember Tsinghua(Wang Zuoliang)
(translated by: alexcwlin; edited by: Adam Lam)

说起清华人,我怀念我的老师们。
As a Tsinghua graduate, I dearly miss my professors at that university.

大学一年级,俞平伯、余冠英两先生教我国文,
In my freshman year, both Mr. Yu Pingbo (“Ping”) and Mr. Yu Guanying (“Guan”) were professors in Chinese Literature.

一位教读本,一位教作文,
Specifically, Ping taught me reading and Guan writing.

都亲切而严格,
Both were approachable and yet strict.

有一次余先生指出我把爬山虎写成紫荆的错误,但又要我多写几篇给他看。
Once in an essay, I mistakenly wrote down “creepers” instead of “redbuds”. Ping pointed out the error and asked me to write a few more pages for him to look at.

二年级,贺麟老师教我西洋哲学史,
In my sophomore year, Mr. He Lin taught in History of Western Philosophy class.

见了我长达百页的英文读书报告不仅不皱眉,反而在班上表扬我;
In one instance, not only that he did not frown on my English one-hundred-page long book review, he even praised me on that in front of the entire class.

正是在他的指导之下,我读了不少古希腊哲学家著作的英译,
Under his guidance, I read many English translations of Greek philosophers’ writings.

真有发现新星球似的喜悦。
I was so ecstatic in perusing them that I felt like an astronomer who had just discovered a new planet.

温德老师在工字厅讲意大利文艺复兴时期艺术,
Mr. Winter was another interesting professor who lectured Italian Renaissance Arts in an H-shaped hall.

打开许多画册让我们传阅,幽默地然而严格地区分画的优劣。
He shared with us many art-painting albums and discussed, in humorous yet serious manners, his categorization of those creations into the “goods” and the “bads”.

同样难忘的事还很多,
I have memories of other unforgettable events.

那时候日本军队已在华北城市大街上演习,
At that time, Japanese armies had already been conducting military exercises on main streets of northern cities.

而清华的师生则在学术上特别争气,
Academically Tsinghua teachers and students were proudly making great strides.

不久又在政治上发动了公然反日的一二九运动。
Before long, they initiated the December 19th anti-Japanese public demonstrations to voice their political views.

我们这一级(1935-1939)还有一段特殊经历,即抗日战争的锻炼。
Our class which spanned from 1935 to 1939 had certain special experience in being baptized by the fire of Sino-Japanese War.

我们两年在清华园度过,两年在长沙、南岳、蒙自、昆明度过。
We spent our first two years in Tsinghua Campus and the next two years in Changsha, Nanyue, Mengzi and Kunming.

有的同学进入解放区打游击,
Some students entered the liberated territories to join our guerillas.

大多数在大后方直接或间接地参加过战争工作。
Most of the others engaged in different capacities of war, directly or indirectly.

但是学术上并未放松。
But we didn’t put our studying on the back burner.

昆明西南联大集北大、清华、南开三校的精华,
Kunming’s Southwest University Association gathered cream-of-the-crop students from Peking University, Tsinghua University and Nankai University.

师生在最简陋的条件下做出了当时第一流的研究成绩,
Their teaching staff and student bodies were able to come up with top-rated research results under the most primitive conditions.

青年人的成长分外迅猛。
Maturity of our young men was particularly precocious.

走遍半个中国给了我们以接触内地实际的宝贵经验,
Having traveled over half of China gave us invaluable first-hand, practical experience on inland.

这是在清华园小范围内埋头读书所无法得到的。
Such experience was impossible to attain had we stayed in the ivory tower of academy within Tsinghua University.

所以这次大转移又是我们知识和感情上的一次大扩充。
Under these colossal changes, we were able to expand horizons of both our knowledge and feelings.


ZZ32翻译:想起清华种种(节选)


0

阅读 收藏 喜欢 打印举报/Report
  

新浪BLOG意见反馈留言板 欢迎批评指正

新浪简介 | About Sina | 广告服务 | 联系我们 | 招聘信息 | 网站律师 | SINA English | 产品答疑

新浪公司 版权所有