1.Archer与Sam Bay在一次晚会上初次见面。他们互相做了自我介绍,并互致问候。介绍中Sam没听清Archer的名字,Archer重复了一遍。Sam问Archer喝什么,Archer想茶加点牛奶,但Sam说没有牛奶。Archer认为没关系,他可以喝无奶茶。
Sam:Great party, isn’t it ? 不错的聚会,不是吗?
Archer:Yeah, really. 是啊,很不错。
Sam:By the way, my name is Sam Bay./ I’m Sam Bay. 顺便说一句,我是Sam Bay.
Archer:Nice to meet you. I’m Bev. Archer. 很高兴见到你。我是Bev. Archer。
Sam:Sorry, what’s your first name(名) ,please? 对不起,您的名字是?(last name 姓)
Archer:Bevely, but please call me Bev. Bevely, 但请叫我Bev.
Sam:Would you like tea or coffee? 您想喝茶还是咖啡?
Archer:I’d like tea with milk(加有牛奶的茶). 想喝茶,加些牛奶。
Sam:I’m afraid there’s no milk. I’m very sorry. 我恐怕没有牛奶,很抱歉。
Archer: It doesn’t matter. I often drink tea without milk(未加牛奶的茶). 没关系。我也经常喝无奶茶的。
2.Tom和Jane初次见面,聊天中Tom让Jane讲一讲有关她家庭的一些情况。Jane有三个姐妹,没有兄弟。老大25岁,已婚并有两个孩子;老二22岁,在大学里学计算机;最小的17岁,念高中,父亲是律师,母亲是记者。
Tom: So, tell me about you family. Have you got any brothers or sisters? 跟我讲讲你的家庭吧。 你有兄弟姐妹吗?
Jane: Yeah. I’ve got/have three sisters (but no brothers). 有,我有三个姐妹(但是没有哥哥)。
Tom: Three sisters. How old are they? 三个姐妹?她们多大了?
Jane: Well, the oldest is twenty-five (years old). The second oldest is twenty-two, and the youngest is seventeen. 最大的25岁,老二22岁,最小的17岁。
Tom: And what do they do? 她们都在做什么(工作还是上学)?
Jane: The oldest one ---that’s Ellen---is married and has two children, and they keep her pretty busy. Janice, the second oldest is (studying) in college./ the second oldest is a college student. She is studying computer science(计算机科学). And the other one, Cindy, is still in high school.
老大,也就是Ellen, 结婚了并有了两个小孩儿,这两个小孩儿让她一直相当忙。Janice, 老二,正在一所大学就读/是一名大学生。她在学计算机。还有一个,Cindy, 仍然在读高中。
Tom: What is your father? / What does your father do? / What’s your father’s job? 你父亲是做什么工作的?
Jane: Oh, he is a lawyer(律师). 哦,他是一名律师。
Tom: Oh, really? And your mom? Does she work, too? / Is she working, too? 哦,真的吗?那你母亲呢?她也在工作吗?(由下文“Yeah”判断出此处应为一个一般疑问句。而社会上,有些女性成立家庭后仍参加工作,有些则离开职场,担当家庭主妇。因此此处提问“你母亲也上班吗”的疑问)
Jane: Yeah, she’s a journalist(记者). She works for a travel magazine. 是的,她是一名记者,为一家旅行杂志工作。
3.小明问他的同学Sam美国有多少个节日,Sam说不准。但他列举了一些节日。小明还从Sam那里了解到谁是没过之父。 Sam 还告诉小明除了华盛顿,林肯也被认为是美国伟大的总统。(小明:M S: Sam)
M: How many holidays do you have in the U.S.? 你们美国有多少个节日?
S: Er, I’m not sure. / I don’t know exactly. I just know some. 我不太确定。我只知道一些。
M: For example? 比如?
S: Mmm, Mother’s Day, National Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Valentine’s Day. 母亲节,国庆节,感恩节和圣诞节,新年,以及情人节。
M: Not bad(不错). When does the National Day come? / When is the National Day?
And the Valentine’s Day?不错,那国庆节是什么时候呢?还有情人节又是什么时候?
S: The National Day comes on July 4th and the latter(后者) on February 14. 国庆节是7月14日,情人节是2月14日。
M: Talking of(谈及;提及) the National Day, who is the Father of the States? Benjamin Franklin or George Washington? 谈到国庆节,谁是美国之父?本杰明·富兰克林,还是乔治·华盛顿?
S: George Washington of course. 当然是乔治·华盛顿了。
M: Besides(除了) Washington, who else is regarded as(be regarded as被认为……) a great president? 除了华盛顿,其他还有谁被认为是伟大的总统的?
S: Abraham Lincoln, I’m one hundred percent sure. 阿伯拉罕·林肯,我百分之一百地确定。
4.Tony刚要搬到一个地方,一天他要去Dr. Brown 的诊所看牙,事先打电话预约。护士给他约定下周四,并问他上午还是下午,他觉得上午为好,最后他预约下周四上午10点30分去诊所。Tony向护士表示了感谢。(recommend介绍)
Nurse: Dr. Brown’s office. May/ Can I help you? 这里是布朗医生办公室。请问我能为您做些什么吗?
Tony: Yes. I’d like to make an appointment for(为某事而预约) a tooth checkup(检查). 我想预约一次牙齿检查。
Nurse: Are you one of the doctor’s regular(规则的,常规的) patients? 您是布朗医生的老病人吗?
Tony: No, I’m not. I have recently moved to(搬至) this area and a friend of mine(我的一个朋友) recommended Dr. Brown. 不,我不是。我最近才搬到这个区域,我的一个朋友向我推荐了布朗医生。
Nurse: Dr. Brown can see you next Thursday. Do you prefer morning or afternoon? 布朗医生下周四可以为您做检查。您想上午来还是下午来?
Tony: Morning is (will be) best/ OK/ all right for me. 对我来说,最好是上午。
Nurse: Would 10:30 be all right? 10点30分可以吗?
Tony: That would be fine. 可以。
Nurse:Good. We’ll expect you then at 10:30 on Thursday. 好。那下周四10点30分见。
Tony: Thank you very much / Thanks a lot. 非常感谢!
5.Jimmy 在街上偶然碰到Jerry, 非常高兴,他约Jerry周末去游泳。Jerry因答应周六帮姐姐搬家,所以去不成。周日能否去,待她决定后今晚给Jimmy 打电话。
Jimmy: Hi, I’m glad to meet/ see you. / I’m glad to run into(偶然碰到) you. 遇到你好开心啊!
Jerry: I’m glad to see you, too. What’s up?(问候语,常无实际意义或意为“最近怎样”; 有时也可意为“怎么了/有何贵干”) 我也是。
Jimmy: Would you like to go swimming/ have a swim(游泳) this weekend? 这个周末要不要一起去游泳?
Jerry: All weekend? 整个周末吗?
Jimmy: Well, just Saturday and Sunday. 只是周六、周日。
Jerry: I’m not sure I can go all weekend. I promised to(promise to do sth. 允诺做某事) help my sister move on Saturday. 我不确定我能整个周末都去。我答应了帮我姐姐周六帮她搬家。
Jimmy: How/ What about Sunday, then? We could start early(早早出发) on Sunday. 那周日呢?我们可以周日早早地出发。
Jerry: I might be able to do that. Let me check(核查、确认). I’ll call/ ring you tonight(今晚). 我可能可以。让我再看看,确认一下,今晚给你打电话。
Jimmy: Great! I’ll talk to you later. 太好了!那回头聊!
Jerry:So long .再见!(很少用)
6. Alice向Adam打听他们的朋友David的情况,从Adam处获悉David三个月前搬到西部(West指密西西比河以西地区),并且结了婚。Alice听说David已结婚,十分惊讶,她想要David的地址给他写信。Adam只知道David婚前的地址。
Alice:Whatever happened to David Jackson? David Jackson怎么样了?
Adam:Oh. Didn’t you hear? He’s moved West. 你没听说吗?他搬到西部去了。
Alice: I didn’t know that. When did that happen? 我不知道啊。什么时候的事情啊?
Adam: I don’t remember exactly(准确地;精确地), but I think it was about three months ago. 具体的我记不清楚了,但我想大概是3个月之前吧。
Alice: Well, that’s certainly news to me. 这对我来说绝对是新闻!
Adam: I heard just last week that he got married/ he was married. 我听说上周他刚刚结婚。
Alice: David married? I can’t believe it. / I don’t believe it. Remember how he always said that marriage wasn’t for him?大卫结婚了?我不信!还记得他一直在那边说婚姻怎么补适合他的。
Adam: I do, but now he did marry. 我也是,但他确实结婚了。
Alice: Do you have /know his address? I’d like to write to him. 你有他的地址吗?我想想写信给他。
Adam: I have his old address---the place where he lived b fore he got married. 我有他的旧地址,他结婚之前住的地方的。
Alice: Good. Can I have it? 好,可以给我吗?
7.Bill病得很严重,住在医院里。大夫先前认为他活不成了。由于得到极好的治疗和护理以及药物的作用,他起死回生。他的朋友们很关心他,想念他。他的朋友们昨晚给他打电话询问情况,Bill说好多了。他们都盼着他回来上班。但医生认为还得三个星期。下面是他的朋友及Bill近况的对话。
Friend 1: What’s the latest(最新的) news about Bill? 有关于比尔的最新消息吗?
Friend 2: I talked to him last night on the phone and he said he was feeling much better. 我昨天跟他通过电话,他说他感觉好多了!
Friend 3: How long has he been in the hospital now? 他在医院待多久了?
Friend 2: Nearly(接近) ten days. 接近10天了。
Friend 1: He was really sick. The doctors thought he was going to die/ he was dying. 他一度病得很严重,医生曾以为他活不成了。
Friend 3: I guess he’s pretty(相当;很) strong. 我想他是很坚强的。
Friend 2: He is, but he also got excellent care. The nurses were just nice, and his family doctor gave him a lot of special attention. 他是很坚强,不过他也得到了很好的照料。护士们都很好,他的家庭医生也给了他许多特别关照。
Friend 3: Some of the modern medicine can be of great help(很有帮助), I guess. 我想,一些现代药物也起了很大作用。
Friend 1: That medicine and the good care he received pulled him through. 这些药物及他受到的细心的照料让他度过了难关。
Friend 1: Do you know when he’ll be able to come back? 你知道他什么时候可以回来吗?
Friend 2: I don’t know, but the doctor said that it might be another three weeks. 不知道,但是医生说可能还需要三个星期。
Friend 3: It surely will be good to see old Bill back on the job again. I really miss him./ I miss him very much. 能见到老比尔回到工作岗位太好了!我真的很想他!
8.Anne和Kevin在饭店吃饭,Anne问Kevin想吃什么,Kevin说想吃奶酪汉堡和炸薯条(cheeseburger and French fries),Kevin又问Anne想吃什么,Anne想要一份凉菜(salad)。她们招呼服务员点菜,当服务员问她们喝什么时,Anne想和冰镇茶,饭店没有,她们只好改喝咖啡。
Anne:What are you going to have, Kevin? 你想吃什么,凯文?
Kevin:Just a cheeseburger(奶酪汉堡) and French fries(炸薯条).What about you /How about you /And you? 奶酪汉堡和炸薯条.你呢?
Anne:I think I’ll have a salad(沙拉;凉菜) /I’d like to have a salad. I guess we’re ready to order, then. Waitress(女服务员), excuse me, waitress. 我想要一份凉菜。我想我们可以点餐了。服务员!(waiter男服务员)
Waitress:Yes, ma’am. May I help you? 女士,请问我可以为您做什么吗?
Anne:Yes, we’d like to order please. 是的,我们想点餐了。
Waitress:Fine. And what would you like (to have)? 好。您想吃什么?
Kevin:I’ll have a cheeseburger and French fries. 我想吃奶酪汉堡和炸薯条。
Anne:Could I have a salad , please? 可以为我来份凉菜吗?
Waitress:One salad and a cheeseburger .Would you care for anything to drink / Would you like something to drink / What would you like to drink? 一份凉菜和一个奶酪汉堡。二位想要什么喝的吗?(care for 想要)
Anne:Do you have any iced(冰镇的) tea ? 你们有冰镇茶吗?
Waitress:I’m sorry , we don’t. 对不起,没有。
Anne:Well, I’ll have a coffee, then. 那我要杯咖啡。
Kevin: Make that two. 两杯(咖啡)。
Waitress:Yes, ma’am. Would you like anything else? 好的,女士,您还想要点什么其他的吗?
Anne:Not right now , thank you . 现在不用,谢谢!
9.Tony问他的朋友Sam晚上喜欢干些什么。Sam喜欢看电视。每天晚上都要看2—3小时,最喜欢的节目有新闻、连续剧、经典片,但体育节目中最喜欢的是足球。
Tony:What do you like doing in the evening ?Do you watch much TV, for example? 你晚上通常都做什么?比如,你晚上常看电视吗?
Sam:Yes, quite a lot of television. 是的,看得很多。
Tony:How much time do you spend watching TV every evening? 你每天晚上通常花多长时间看电视?
Sam:Er, about 2 to 3 hours. 大概两三个小时。
Tony:Every evening? 每天晚上都是吗?
Sam:Yes, every evening. 是的,每天晚上。
Tony:Huh. What are your favorite programs? 那你最喜欢看的节目是什么?
Sam:Um, news….serials, classics. 新闻,电视剧,古典音乐。
Tony:Do you watch much sport on TV? 你经常在电视上看体育节目吗?
Sam:Yes ,I do. I prefer football . 是的,我比较喜欢足球。
10.Vera问Peter隔多长时间锻炼一次身体,吃什么、喝什么。Peter告诉她每天游泳、跑步,不吃肉,喜欢鱼、蛋、蔬菜,不喝酒, 不喝咖啡,不喝茶,他认为这些饮料对身体有害。但他天天喝奶。
Vera:Peter, how often do you exercise? 皮特,你多长时间锻炼一次?
Peter:Well ,I swim and run every day. 我每天都游泳、跑步。
Vera:Now ,tell me ,what do you eat ? 那,告诉我,你都吃些什么呢?
Peter:Er, I never eat any meat / I don’t eat any meat .But I do eat fish and eggs. 我从来不吃肉,到那我是鱼和鸡蛋。
Vera:Do you eat a lot of vegetables / Do you like vegetables ? 你喜欢吃蔬菜吗?
Peter:Oh ,yes ,I love vegetables. 是的,我很喜欢吃蔬菜。
Vera:What do you drink? 通常喝什么呢?
Peter:Well ,I never drink wine, coffee or tea .That’s very bad for me . 我从不饮酒、不喝咖啡、不喝茶。那些都对我不益。
Vera:What do you drink? 那你都喝什么?
Peter:I drink a lot of milk. It’s very good for our health. 我喝牛奶,牛奶对我们的健康有益。
11.Alison找到一份新工作,Rick来向她表示祝贺,但Alison对自己的新工作并不十分满意,她十分忙,每天接待许多人。她喜欢接电话,但不喜欢打字…….Rick建议她去上大学,然后找一份自己喜欢的工作。Alison认为这是个好主意。
Rick:Good luck , Alison! How is the job? 运气不错啊,Alison! 工作怎么样?
Alison:Well , I’m terribly(特别地;恐怖地) very busy ! / I’m not satisfied with it.
Every day I meet lots of people .I do lots of typing, too. 这工作真的很忙!/我对这份工作不是很满意。我每天都要接待很多人。还要打很多字。(be satisfied with 对…..感到满意)
Rick:Don’t you like your new job ? 你不喜欢你的新工作吗?
Alison:Oh, I enjoy meeting people .And I like / enjoy answering the phone(接电话). But I don’t like / hole typing. 我喜欢接待人,我也喜欢节电话,但我不喜欢打字。
Rick:You can go to college , you know. Why don’t you study for a year? 你可以去读大学。为什么不再去读一年呢?
Alison:What do you mean ? 什么意思?
Rick:I mean you can do a course in business studies .Then you can apply for(申请) lots of different jobs.我的意思是你可以读一门商务课程。然后你就可以申请许多不同的工作。
Alison:That’s a good / great idea . I like studying. 这是个好主意,我喜欢学习。
12.Jane的父亲病了,她不知道父亲到底怎么啦。她对来做客的朋友Peter讲述情况,Peter为她感到难过,并建议Jane领父亲去看病。但Jane说父亲不喜欢去医院,后来他们商量请医生来Jane家。
Jane:Dad was badly ill last night . 父亲昨晚病得很重。
Peter:I’m sorry (to hear that).What’s the matter with him? 听到这个我很难过。他怎么了?
Jane:I don’t know .He hasn’t been feeling very well lately(最近) .我不知道。他最近一直感觉不舒服。
Peter:Has he seem the doctor / Has he been to hospital ?他看过医生了吗/ 去过医院了吗?
Jane:No, he doesn’t like to go to hospital / he doesn’t like to see the doctor . 没有,他不喜欢去医院/ 不喜欢看医生。
Peter:Well ,let me go to call for the doctor . 那我去请医生过来吧。
Jane:Thank you ,Peter. 谢谢你,皮特!
Peter:It’s / That’s all right / You are welcome / Not at all . 不客气!
13. Pamela准备租一套公寓,她打电话询问要出租的公寓在什么地方,是否离商店和地铁近,每月房租是多少,房子有多大。房主告诉她公寓离商店和地铁不远,每月租金360英镑,总共两个卧室和一个大客厅。他们约定当日下午四点去看房。(生词:flat 公寓;underground 地铁)
Owner:Hello,2248818.
Pamela:Hello, I’m planning about the flat / I’d like to know sth about the flat / I’d like to ask about the flat. 你好,我想租一套公寓。/ 我想了解有关公寓的事情/ 我想想问问公寓的事。
Owner:Of course .What would you like to know? 当然。您想了解什么?
Pamela:Well ,first, can you tell me where it is please ? Is it near some shops and the underground?首先,您能告诉我公寓在哪儿吗? 距离商店和地铁近吗?
Owner:Well , the flat is in the centre. We’re only 100 meters from the shops and a five-minute walk from the underground. 公寓在中心。距离商店只有100米,距离地铁步行只要5分钟。
Pamela:And how much does it cost / how much is the cost ? 那租金多少呢?
Owner:Three hundred and sixty pounds a month . 三百六十英镑。
Pamela:I see, and is it a big flat ? How many square meters is it? 我知道了,那这套公寓大吗?多少平米?
Owner:Oh , I don’t know. There are two bedrooms and a very large living / sitting room. Would you like to see it? 这个我不知道。有两个卧室、一个大的客厅。您想过来看看吗?
Pamela:Yes, when can I come ,please ?好,我什么时候过来?
Owner:Hm. Can you come this afternoon./ How about this afternoon / Is afternoon OK ? About four? It’s number 2 ,Canbury Road . 今天下午怎么样》大概四点?在Canbury路4号。
Pamela:Yes, that’s fine .I’ll see you then .Goodbye. 好,那到时见!拜拜!