As time passed, my father struggled for more to hold onto... asking me again and again had I told him everything
随着时间的流逝,我父亲挣扎着从弟弟死亡的阴影中走出来……我扪心自问是否已把(关于PAUL)一切告诉了他
Finally I said to him...
后来,我跟他说……
"Maybe all I really know about Paul...is that he was a fine fisherman."
也许我真正了解的PAUL就是一个出色的渔夫,仅此而已。
"You know more than that", my father said. "He was beautiful."
“不仅仅如此”,我父亲说。“他是那样的美好。”
That was the last time we ever spoke of my brother's death.
那是最后一次我们提及弟弟的死。
Indirectly, though, Paul was always present in my father's thoughts.
虽然没有表现出来,但是我知道PAUL一直活在父亲的心中。
I remember the last sermon l heard him give...not long before his own death.
记得就在PAUL死前不久,我们听了的父亲的最后一次布道。
Each one of us here today will, at one time in our lives...look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question. "We are willing to help, Lord...but what, if anything is needed?"
我们在座的每个人都会有那么一次,望着我们所爱的人那么无助,问着同样一个问题。“主啊,让我帮帮他吧,但该如何做呢?”
It is true we can seldom help those closest to us.
事实上我们很少对我们所怜惜的人施以援助之手。
Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give... or more often than not,
the part we have to give...is not wanted.
也不知道该给予他们些什么,或者我们能给予的往往不是他们真正需要的。
And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us...but we can still love them.
这就是那些与我们靠近却又逃避着我们的人啊……但是我们仍然可以爱他们。
We can love completely...without complete understanding.
不顾一切地爱他们。
Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand in my youth are dead. Even Jessie.
现在青年时代那些我所珍爱但又无法理解的伙伴都相继离我而去了。包括Jessie。
But I still reach out to them.
但我仍然可以跟他们交心。
Of course, now I'm too old to be much of a fisherman.
当然,风烛残年的我,已经无法成为一个出色蝇钓者了。
And now I usually fish the big waters alone...although some friends think I shouldn't.
很多朋友认为我不该呆在大河边钓鱼,但是我依然如故。
But when I am alone in the half-light of the canyon...all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and memories... and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot
每当我站在峡谷的暗影中,周围的一切都会渐渐褪色,变成了与我相伴的灵魂深处的记忆,还有的,就是那大河底下的声音。
River and a four-count rhythm...and the hope that a fish will rise.
大河缓缓流淌,河流声象打着四拍子的音乐,我在河边盼望着鱼儿上钩。
Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
最后,所有这一切融合在了一起 ---- 一条穿越时间和生命的河流。
The river was cut by the world's great flood...and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
大河因为暴雨涨潮而涌向四面八方,在时间的基石中川流不息。
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops.
有些岩石上有着永恒的雨滴印记。
Under the rocks are the words...and some of the words are theirs.
岩石下面有着许多不为人知的故事。PAUL他们的故事也在里头。
I am haunted by waters.
而这大河里的一切至今萦绕在我心头......
?Each
one of us here today will, at one time in our lives..
look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same
question. "We are willing to help, Lord.. but what, if anything, is
needed?“ It is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either
we don't know what part of ourselves to give.. or more often than
not, the part we have to give... is not wanted. And so it is those
we live with and should know who elude us...but we can still love
them. We can love completely...without
complete understanding.
每个人一生中都有那麼一次,向著所爱的人问同一句话:「主啊 !我们愿意帮忙。」但是,帮什麼忙呢?的确,我们无法帮助亲 人。我们不知要献出自己的那一部分;然而,往往我们奉献出的 部分,并不是对方所需的。因此,与我们生活在一起的亲人中, 我们该知道谁会逃避我们;但是,我们仍会爱他们,完完全全地 爱他们,却不需要完全地了解他们。
(影片最后独白)
?When I'm alone in the half-light of
the canyon, all existence seems to fade to a being with my soul and
memories, and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a
four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.
Eventually, all things merge into
one,and a river runs through it.
The river was cut by the world's
great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
And some of the rocks are timeless
raindrops.
Under the rocks are words.
And some of the words are theirs.
当我单独处身在水中,所有回忆瞬即涌到脑海,我只听到大布莱克河奏出一段四拍四的调子,心中希望有大鱼上钩。最后,所有事物都已融为一体,并被河水冲走了。河水泛滥时被分成无数支流,流过无数古老的岩石,雨点滴在岩石上,石下面藏有神的讯息,甚至是河水本身的讯息。河水令我深深的着迷。”
?My brother stood before us, not on a
bank of the Big Blackfoot River...but suspended above the
earth...free from all its laws, like a work of art. And I knew just
as surely and just as clearly...that life is
not a work of art...and that the moment could not last.
?“我弟弟在我们面前站着,不是站在大布莱克河的岸上,他站在茫茫大地上,不受时间的规条限制,就似是一件艺术品。”