Section A: Wealth, Success or Love?
Ⅰ. Main Idea
Part I(Para. 1): Differing views on the importance of wealth, success and love.
Ⅲ. Text Learning
1. Could it be
possible for a person to choose one and somehow get the other two,
Meaning: Could there be a possible for a person to pick one and get the other two as well by some means?
1) in a way that is not known or certain
e.g. We must stop him from seeing her somehow.
2) for a reason that you do mot know or understand
e.g. Somehow, I don’t feel I can trust him.
She looked different somehow.
2. A woman came out of her house and saw three wise men with long white hair sitting in her front garden.
Meaning: A woman came out of her house and saw three clever men sitting in her front garden. They all had long white hair.
wise: adj. having or showing good sense and judgment, and the ability to understand and decide on the right action.
e.g. I am older and wiser after ten years in the business.
It was very wise to leave when you did.
3. Out of sympathy…
out of : because of
e.g. I asked out of curiosity.
She did it out of spite.
4. “Is the man of the house at home?” they asked.
Meaning: “Is the master / host of the house at home?” they asked.
Note that the view ---- the man of the house is the master of the house ---- is not acceptable to all, at least not to feminists.
5. “His name is Wealth,” pointing to one of his friends…
Meaning：He pointed to one of his friends and said, “ His name is Wealth.”
point to: indicate the direction, draw attention to someone of something by holding out a finger towards it
e.g. He pointed to the spot where the house used to stand.
6. While they were arguing their daughter-in-law was listening from the other corner of the house.
Meaning: When they were disagreeing with each other, their son’s wife was listening from the other corner of the house.
argue: v. express disagreement in words, often with strong feeling; quarrel
e.g. We are always arguing with each other about money.
He was too tired to argue the point.
7. If you had invited Wealth or Success, the other two of us would’ve stayed out. But since you incited Love, wherever he goes, we go with him.
Meaning: If you had asked Wealth of Success to come, the other two of us would have remained outside. But as you asked Love to come, it is our usual practice to go with him anywhere he goes.
1) in any place
e.g. Sit wherever you like.
2) in all places that
e.g. Wherever she goes, there are crowds of people waiting to see her.
IV. Structure Focus
“What”作关系代词用时其本身已含先行词，亦即文法上属复合关系代词（Compound Relative Pronoun），而由what所引导的关系从句在功能上有如名词从句，可作句子的主语、宾语、补语等使用，所以叫做名词性关系从句（Nominal Relative Clause）。
What= the thing (s) + that/which (先行词+关系代词)
例：What he said yesterday was true. 昨天他所说的话是真实的。
例：What she has told us seems false. 她对我们所讲的话好像是假的。
I need your full support. 我需要你的全力支持。
What I need is your full support. 我所需要的是你的全力支持。
句型 2 This /S+ be +what…
例A：This is what I know. 这就是我所知道的。
例B：To have a good rest is what she needs. 她所需要的就是好好地休息一下。
句型 3 ……Vt.+what; V……prep.+what
例A：To be honest, I don't like what he has said. 老实说我不喜欢他所讲的话。
例B：We thanked him for what he had done for our community.
句型 4 A is to B what X is to Y
例：Reading is to the mind what food is to the body. 读书与心智的关系犹如食物与身体的关系。
Reading is to the mind as food is to the body.
例：My angel mother had made me what I am. —A. Lincoln 我的慈母使我有今天。
例：He is not what he used to be 他已不是从前的他。
例：He is what we /you call a “walking dictionary”. 他就是所谓的活字典.
例：He didn't catch the 10：30 train and , what was worse, he then found that he had lost his money on his way to the station. 他没有赶上火车，而更糟的是他发现他在赶来车站的途中把钱遗失了。
1) why don’t we (you and me – you and us) and Let’s (do something) are used to make suggestions about activities. (Let’s = Let us. )
2) Why don’t you (do something) is used to make friendly suggestions, to give a friendly advice.
e.g. Why don’t we go to the park? = Let’s go to the park (the same meaning)
Why don’t you use your car?
Why don’t I do it myself?
Why doesn’t she stay?
V. Check-up Exercises
Out of sympathy, Mrs. Black gave some money to the poor old man.
Our room is filled with love when we help each other.
We should take the old man’s advice and go home right now.
1. Some think wealth is more important; some success;others think love is the most important of all.
2. Could it be possible for a person to choose one and somehow get the other two, as well?
3. Let him come in and fill our home with wealth!
4. Wherever there is love, there is also wealth and success!