晶莹剔透 -- 肉皮冻 Aspic(2017-02-02 15:14:27)
Chinese Aspic is a dish made with mainly pork skin, where the skin are clean off of fat and cook into stock, when cooled, set into natural gelatin. The stock can be filled and flavored with spices.
Aspics are usually served cold with dressing and herbs as a starter, a good aspic is clear and free from impurities, which requires a lot of cleaning and slow cooking.
400 克 猪皮
3 杯/700克 水
2-3 片 姜片
1 根 桂皮
1 只 八角
1 根 青葱
1/4 茶匙 食盐
400 g Pork Skin
3 cup/ 700 ml water
2-3 pieces of sliced ginger
1 stick of cinnamon
1 star Anise
1 spring onion (Tie into knot)
1/4 tsp of salt
1. 把猪皮放入滚水里煮 2-3分钟后取出洗净用一把锋利的小刀刮去皮下的脂肪，刮得越干净做出来的皮冻越晶莹剔透。重复这个步骤两三次直至肉皮刮干净为止。
1. Bring half a pot of water to boil and blanch the pork skin for 2-3 minutes, take it out and with the help of a sharp knife, scrape the underside of the skin to remove any seen fat. Repeat the process of blanching and scrapping for 2-3 times until no fat remains on the skin.
2. Cut the pork skin into small strips, you can use a scissor to cut it too.
3. Place the pork skin strips, ginger slices, spring onion, cinnamon, star anise, salt and water in a pot, cover with a lid and place it in a steamer to steam for 2 hours. You can also cook ir on the stove top by bringing it to boil then turn the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Discard spring onion and spices and pour the stew into a heat resistant container, leave the container in a cold place or refrigerator for few hours until the liquid solidity and set.
Slice the Aspic into pieces, serve with your choice of sauce and
dressing. Mine was served with some
I also saved some for my soupy dumplings/Xiao Long Pau recipe later.