加载中…
个人资料
fang
fang
  • 博客等级:
  • 博客积分:0
  • 博客访问:6,777,962
  • 关注人气:3,513
  • 获赠金笔:0支
  • 赠出金笔:0支
  • 荣誉徽章:
相关博文
推荐博文
谁看过这篇博文
加载中…
正文 字体大小:

2012年07月12日

(2012-07-12 17:16:06)
标签:

杂谈

直到他们看见了我那被日光晒黑的脸和膀子,他们才放心的微笑了

It was not until they saw my suntanned face and arms that they began to smile a smile of relief

这种情形的确值得人掉泪

All that was enough to move one to tears.

有人相信,我不写文章,就不能够生活。

Some believe that, without writing, I would lose my livelihood.

不能够生活

lose my livelihood

有个同情我的朋友寄稿到《广州民国日报》的副刊,说了许多关于我的生活的话

One of my sympathizers, in an article published two months ago in the Guangzhou republic daily  supplement, gives a full account of the conditions of my life.

他也说,我一天不写文章第二天就没有饭吃

He also says that I would have nothing to live on once I should lay down my pen.

这不是确实的

That is not true at all

这次旅行就给我证明,即使我不再写一个字,朋友们也不肯让我冻馁

It has already been proved by my recent travels that my friends would never let me suffer from cold and hunger even if I should go without writing a single word.

世间还有许多慷慨的人,他们不把自己个人和家庭看得异常重要,超过一切

There are a great many kind-hearted people in the world who never attach undue importance to themselves and their families and who never place themselves and place their families above anything else

靠了他们我才活到现在,而且靠了他们我还要活下去

It is owing to them that I still survive and shall continue to survive for a long time to come

朋友们给我的东西太多太多了

I owe my friends many, many things.

我将怎样报答他们呢?

How can I repay them?

但我知道他们是不需要报答的。

But, I understand, they do not need me to do it.

最近我在一个法国哲学家的书里读到了这样的话

Recently I came across the following words in a book by a French philosopher:

生活的一个条件就是消费

One condition of life is consumption.

生存在这世上,世间有一种不能和生存分开的慷慨

Survival in the world is inseparable from generosity,

没有了这种慷慨,我们就会死去,内心干枯

Without which we would perish and become dried-up from within.

内心干枯

become dried-up from within.

我们必须开花,道德,无私之心就是人生的花

We must put forth flowers. Moral integrity and unselfishness are the flowers of life.

道德

Moral integrity

开花

put forth flowers

在我眼前开放着这么多人生的花朵了

Now so many flowers o life are in full bloom before my eyes.

in full bloom

adv.开着花

我的生命何时才能开花?

When can my life put forth flowers?

开花

put forth flowers

放出, 生出

put forth

一个朋友说,我若是灯,我要用我的光明来照彻黑暗

A friend of mine said, if I were a lamp, I would illuminate the darkness with my light.

我不配做一盏明灯,

I, however, don’t qualify for a bright lamp.

那就让我做一块木柴把

Let me be a piece of firewood instead.

我愿把我从太阳那里受到的热放散出来

I’ll radiate the heat that I have absorbed from the sun

我愿意把自己烧得粉身碎骨,给人间天一点点温暖。

I’ll burn myself to ashes to provide this human world with a little warmth.

把家庭看得比朋友重要若干倍

Considering the former many times more important than the latter.

我也曾亲眼看见一些人结婚以后就离开朋友,离开事业

I have also seen with my own eyes how some people abandon their friends as well as their own careers, soon after they get married

不久之后, 稍后

soon after

朋友是暂时的,家庭是永久的。再好些人的行为里我发现了这个信条

Friends are transient whereas families are lasting---- that is the tenet, as I know, guiding the behavior of many people.

这个信条在我是不可理解的

To me, that is inconceivable.

对于我,要是没有朋友,我现在会变成怎样可怜的东西,我也不知道

Without friends, I would have been reduced to I don’t know what a miserable creature.

然而朋友们把我拯救了。

Friends are my saviors

他们给了我家庭所不能给的东西

They give me things which it is beyond my family to give me.

他们的友爱,他们的鼓励,他们的帮助,几次把我从深渊的边缘救回来。

Thanks to their fraternal love, encouragement and assistance, I have time and again been saved from falling into the abyss while on its verge.

他们对我表示了无限的慷慨

They have been enormously generous towards me

我的生活曾经是悲苦的,黑暗的

There was a time when my life was miserable and gloomy

然而朋友们把多量的同情,多量的爱,多量的欢乐,多量的泪水分给了我,这些东西都是生存所必需的

My friends then gave me in large quantities sympathy, love, joy and tears----things essential for existence.

这些不要报答的慷慨的施舍,使我的生活里也有了温暖,有了幸福。

It is their bountiful and free gifts that I also have my share of warmth and happiness in my life.

我默默地接受了他们,我并不曾说过一句感激的话,我也没有做过一件报答的行为

I accepted their kindness quietly without even saying a word of thanks and without ever doing anything in return.

报答的行为

doing anything in return.

但是朋友们却不把自私的形容词加到我身上

In spite of that, my friends never used the epithet “self-centered” when referring to me.

epithet

[5epiWet]n.绰号, 称号

他们对我太慷慨了

They are only too generous towards me

这一次,我走了许多新地方,看见了许多新朋友

I visited many places and met many new friends on my recent trip.

我的生活是忙碌的,忙着看,忙着听,忙着说,忙着走。

My time was mostly taken up by looking around, listening, talking and walking

但我不曾遇到一点困难,朋友们给我准备好一切,使我不会缺少什么。

But I never ran into trouble because my friends have done their uttermost to make sure I would be short of nothing.

我每走到一个新地方,我就像回到我那个在上海被日本兵毁掉的旧居一样

Whatever new places I called at, I always felt at home as if I were back in my old residence in shanghai which had already been raged to the ground by Japanese troops.

毁掉

be rage to the ground

每一个朋友,不管他自己的生活怎样苦,怎样简单,也要慷慨的分一些东西给我,虽然明知道我不能够报答他

们。No matter how hard up and frugal my friends themselves were, they would unstintingly share with me whatever they had, although they know I could not be able to repay them

hard up

[口]经济困难 缺钱

unstinting

[5Qn5stintiN]慷慨的 无限制的

我留着些什么痕迹呢?

What traces did I leave?

我何曾留着像游丝一样的痕迹呢?

Not even the gossamer-like traces.

我赤裸裸的来到这世界,转眼间也将赤裸裸的回去吧?

I have come to this world stark naked, and in the twinkling of an eye, I am to go back as stark naked as ever.

转眼间

before you can say Jack Robinson/ in the twinkling of an eye

但不能平的,为什么偏要白白走这一遭阿?

However, I am taking it very much to heart: why should I be made to pass through this world for nothing at all?

不能平,耿耿于怀,为之想不开

I am taking it very much to your heart.

你聪明的,告诉我,我们的日子为什么一去不复返呢?

O you the wise, would you please tell me, why should our days go by never to return.

这一次地旅行使我更了解一个名词的意义,这个名词就是:朋友

On my recent travels, I came to realize still more fully the significance of the word “friend”

7,8天前我曾对一个初次见面的朋友说,在朋友们面前我只感到惭愧。

Seven or eight days ago, I said to a friend I had just come to know, “I can’t help feeling embarrassed before my friends.”

你们带我太好了

You are all so nice to me

我简直没法报答你们

I don’t know how to repay your kindness.

这并不是谦虚的客气话

I did not make this remark out of mere modesty and courtesy.

这是真的实话

I truly meant what I said.

说过这些话,我第二天就离开了那个朋友,并不知道以后还有没有机会再见到他

The next day, I said goodbye to this friend, without knowing if I could ever see him again.

但是他给我的那一点温暖,至今还使我的心颤动

But the little warmth he gave me has been keeping my heart throbbing with gratitude.

我的生命大概不会很长久罢

The length of my days will not be unlimited.

然而在短促的过去的回顾中却又一盏明灯,照彻了我的灵魂的黑暗,使我的生存有了点光彩

However, whenever I look back on my brief past life, I find a beacon illuminating my soul and thereby lending a little brightness to my being.

这盏灯就是友情

That beacon is friendship

我应当感谢它,因为考了他我才能够活到现在,而且把旧家庭给我留下的阴影扫除了的也正是他

I should be grateful to it because it helped me keep alive up to now and clear away the shadow left on me by my old family.

世间有不少的人为了家庭抛弃朋友,至少也会在家庭和朋友之间划一个界限

Many people forsake friends in favor of family their own families, or at least draw a demarcation between families and friends,

去得尽管去了,来得尽管来着

What is gone is gone, and what is to come keeps coming

去来的中间有怎样的匆匆呢?

How swift is the transition in between

早上起来的时候,小屋里射进了三方斜斜的太阳

When I get up in the morning, the slanting sun casts two or three squarish patches of light into my small room

slanting

[5slB:ntiN]倾斜地

太阳他有脚啊,轻轻悄悄的挪移了

The sun has feet, edging softly and stealthily.

我也茫茫然跟着旋转

Without knowing it, I already caught in its revolution

于是—洗手的时候,日子从水盆里过去,吃饭的时候,日子从饭碗里过去,默默时,便从凝然的双眼前过去

Thus the day flows in through the sink when I wash my hands, vanishes in the rice bowl when I have my meal, passes away quietly before the fixed gaze of my eyes when I am lost in reverie

reverie

[5revEri]n.幻想

be lost in

全神贯注于 沉湎于 不胜...之至

我觉察他去得匆匆了,伸手遮挽时,他又从遮挽着的手边过去。

Aware of its fleeting presence, I reached out for it only to find it brushing past my out-stretched hands.

brush past

v.擦过

天黑时,他便伶伶利利得从我身边跨过,从我脚边飞去了。

In the evening, when I lie on my bed it nimbly strides over my body and flits past my feet.

等我睁开眼和太阳再见,这算有溜走了一天

By the time when I open my eyes to meet the sun again, another day is already gone.

我掩着面叹息

I heave a sigh, my head buried in my hands.

但是新来的日子的影儿又开始在叹息里闪过了

But, in midst of my sighs, a new day is flashing past.

flash past

一闪而过

在逃去如飞的日子里,在前门万户的世界里的我能做些什么呢?只有徘徊罢了,只有匆匆罢了

Living in this world with its fleeting days and teeming millions, what can I do but waver and wander and live a transient life.

前门万户

teeming millions

在8000多日的匆匆里,除徘徊外,又剩下什么呢

What have I been doing during the 8000 fleeting days except wavering and wandering?

徘徊

wandering

过去的日子如轻烟,被微风吹散了,如薄雾,被初阳蒸融了

The bygone days, like wisps of smoke, have been dispersed by gentle winds.

情郁之中,自然要发之于外,家庭琐事便往往触他之怒

And his pent-up emotion had to find a vent. That is why even mere trivialities would make him angry.

pent-up

adj.幽闭的, 被压抑的

他待我也渐渐不同往日,

And meanwhile he became less and less nice with me.

但最近两年不见,他终于忘却我得不好,

However, the separation of the last tow years has made him more forgiving towards me.

只是惦记着我,只是惦记着我的儿子

He keeps thinking about me and my son.

我身体平安,为膀子疼痛厉害,

After I arrived in Beijing, he wrote me a letter, in which he said, “I am all right except for a pain in my arm”

举箸提笔,诸多不便,大约大去之日不远矣。

I even have trouble using chopsticks or writing brushes, perhaps it won’t be long before I depart this life.

与世长辞

depart this life.

我读到此处,在晶莹的泪光中,又看见那肥胖的青布棉袍,黑布马褂的背影

Through the glittering tears these words brought to my eyes I again saw the back of father’s corpulent form in the dark blue cotton-padded cloth long gown and the black cloth mandarin jacket.

我不知何时才能与他相见

How I long to see him again!

燕子去了,有再来的时候。杨柳枯了,有再青的时候,桃花谢了,有再开得时候。

If swallows go away, they will come back. If the willows wither, they will turn green again. If peach blossoms fade, they will flower again.

但是,聪明的,你告诉我,我们的日子为什么一去不复返呢?

But, tell me, you the wise, why should out days go by never to return?

是有人偷他们去吧?

Perhaps they have been stolen by someone.

那时谁?又藏在何处呢?

but who could it be and where could he hide them?

也许他们是自己偷偷逃走了吧,现在又到了哪里了呢?

Perhaps they have run away by themselves. But where could they be at the present moment?

我不知道他们给了我多少日子,但我的手确乎是渐渐空虚了。

I don’t know how many days I am entitled to, but my quota of them is undoubtedly wearing away.

在默默里算着, 8000多个日子已经从我的指间溜去

Counting up silently, I find more than 8000 days slip away from between my fingers

像针尖上一滴水滴在大海里。

Like a drop of water falling off a needle point into the ocean.

我的日子滴在时间的流里,没有声音也没有影子

My days are dripping into the stream of time without leaving a trace.

我不禁汗涔涔而泪潺潺了

At the thought of this, sweat oozes from my forehead and tears trickle down my cheeks

慢慢探下身去,尚不大难,可是穿过铁道,要爬上那边月台就不容易了。

He had little problem climbing down the railway track. But it was a lot more difficult for him to climb up that platform after crossing the railway track

他用两手攀着上面,两腿再向上缩,他肥胖的身子向左微倾,显出努力的样子

His hands held onto the upper part of the platform, his legs huddled up and his corpulent body tipped slightly towards the left, obviously making an enormous exertion

努力

making an enormous exertion

这时我看见他的背影,我的眼泪和快地流了下来

While I was watching him form behind, my tears gushed from my eyes.

眼泪和快地流了下来

tears gushed from my eyes.

我赶紧擦干了泪,怕他看见,也怕别人看见

I quickly wiped them away lest he or others should not catch me crying.

我在向外看得时候,他已经抱着朱红的橘子往回走了

The next moment when I looked out of the window again, father was already on the way back,with the red tangerines in both hands.

过铁道时,他先把橘子散放在地上,先慢慢的爬下,再抱起橘子走。

In crossing the railway track, he first put the tangerines on the ground, climbed down slowly, and then picked them up again.

到这边时,我赶紧去搀他

I hurried out to help him by the hand.

搀他

help him by the hand.

他和我走到车上,将橘子一古脑儿放在我的大衣上,于是扑扑衣上的泥土,心里很轻松似的。

After boarding the train with me, he laid all the tangerines on my overcoat, and patting the dirt off his clothes, he looked somewhat relieved

过了一会儿说,我走了,到那边来信

And said after a while, “I must be going now. don’t forget to write to me from Beijing!”

我望着他走出去

I gazed after his back retreating out of the carriage.

走了几步,他回头看见我,说“进去吧,里面没有人”

After a few steps, he looked back at me and said “go back to your seat. Don’t leave your things alone.”

等他的背影混入来来往往的人里,再也找不着了,我便进来坐下,我的眼泪又来了

However, I did not go back to my seat until his figure was lost among crowds of people hurrying to and fro and no longer visible. My eyes were again with tears.

to and fro

adv.来回地, 往复地

这几年,我和父亲都是东奔西走,家中光景是一日不如一日。

In recent years, both father and I have been living at unsettled life, and the circumstances of our family going from bad to worse.

东奔西走

living at unsettled life

他少年外出谋生,独立支持,作了许多大事。

Father left home to seek a livelihood when young and did achieve quite a few things all on his own.

谋生

seek a livelihood

哪知老境却如此颓唐。

To think that he should be so downcast in old age.

他触目伤怀,自然情不能自已

The discouraging state affairs filled him with an uncontrollable feeling of deep sorrow.

我将它给我的紫毛大衣铺好座位

I spread the seat with the brownish furlined overcoat he had got tailor made for me.

他嘱我路上小心,夜里警醒些,不要受凉

He told me to be watchful on the way and be careful not to catch cold at night. 

又嘱托茶房好好照料我,

He also asked the train attendants to take good care of me

我心里暗笑他的迂,他们只认得钱,托他们直是白托

I sniggered at father for being so impractical, for it was utterly useless to entrust me to those attendants, who cared for nothing but money.

只认得钱

cared for nothing but money

而且,我这样年纪的人,难道不能照料自己吗?

Besides, it was certainly no problem for a person of my age to look after myself.

现在回想起来,现在想想,那时真是太聪明了

Oh, now I come to see it, I can see how smarty I was in those days.

smarty

[5smB:ti]n.自作聪明的人

我说,爸爸,你走吧

I said, father, you might leave now.

但他看看窗外说“我买几个橘子去,你就在此地,不要走动”

But he looked out of the window and said, “I’m going to buy you some tangerines. You just stay here, don’t move around”

我看那边的月台的栅栏外有几个买东西的等着顾客

I saw several vendors waiting for customers outside the railings beyond the platform.

走到那边月台,需要穿过铁道,须跳下去又爬上去。

But to reach that platform, would require crossing the railway track and doing some climbing up and down.

strenuous

[5strenjuEs]adj.奋发的, 使劲的, 紧张的, 热烈的, 艰辛发奋的

父亲是一个胖子,走过去自然要费些事

It would be strenuous job for father, who was fat.

我本来要去的,但他不肯,我只好让他去

I wanted to do all that myself, but he stopped me, so I could do nothing but let him go.

我看见他戴着黑布小帽,穿着黑布大马褂,深青布棉袍,蹒跚的走道铁道边

I watched him hobble towards the railway track in his black skullcap, black cloth and dark blue cotton-padded cloth long grown.

小帽

skullcap

大马褂

mandarin jacket

丧事完毕,父亲要到南京谋事,我也要回北京念书,我们便同行

After the funeral was over, father was to go to Nanjing to look for a job and I was to return to Beijing to study, so we started out together.

出发, 动身

start out

到南京时,有朋友约去游逛,勾留了一日,第二天上午便须渡江到浦口,下午上车北去。

I spent the first day in Nanjing strolling about with some friends at their invitation, and was ferrying across the Yangtse River to Pukou the next morning and thence taking a train for Beijing on the afternoon of the same day.

接受他们的邀请

at their invitation,

父亲因为事忙,本意说定不送我,叫旅馆里一个舒适的茶房陪同我去。

Father said he was too busy to go and see me off at the railway station, but would ask a waiter that he knew to accompany me there instead.

他再三叮嘱茶房,陪同我去,甚是仔细,但他始终放不下心。

He urged the waiter again and again to take care of me, but still did not quite trust him.

 

 

怕茶房不妥帖,踌躇了一会儿

He hesitated for a while and did not know what to do.

踌躇了一会儿

hesitated for a while

其实那年我已二十岁,北京来往过两三次,是没有什么要紧的

As a matter of fact, nothing would matter because I have traveled on the Beijing-Pukou a couple of times

踌躇了一会儿,他最终还是决定亲自送我去

After a while of wavering, he finally decided that he himself would accompany me to the station.

我再三劝他不必去,他只说,不要紧,他们去不好

I repeatedly talked him out of it, he only said, never mind, it won’t do to trust those hotel boys.

talk out of

v.说服某人不做某事劝阻

,,,,,,,,,不好

it won’t do to,,,,

我们过了江,进了车站。

We entered the station after crossing the River.

我买票,他忙着照看行李。

While I was buying a ticket, father saw to the luggage

负责, 注意

see tov.

 

 

行李太多了,必须向脚夫行些小费,他便又忙着和他们讲价钱

There was quite bit of luggage, and he had to bargain with the porter over the fee.

frown upon

蹙眉而露出不悦之色,表示不赞成

我那时真是聪明过分,总觉他说话不打漂亮,非自己插嘴不可,但他终于讲定了价钱

I was such a smart aleck that I frowned upon the way father was haggling and was on the verge of chipping in a few words when the bargain was finally clinched.

自作聪明的人

smart aleck

v.插嘴, 捐助, 下注

chip in

就送我上车,他给我捡定了一张靠门的椅子,

Getting on the train with me, he picked me a seat at the carriage door.

我与父亲不相见已经两年余了,我最不能忘记的就是他的背影

It is more than two years since I last saw father, and what I never forget is the sight of his back.

那年冬天,祖母死了,父亲的差事也交卸了

Misfortunes never come easily. In the winter of two years ago, my grandma died and father lost his job.

我从北京到徐州,打算跟着父亲奔丧回家,

I left Beijng for Xuzhou to join my father in hastening home to attend the funeral.

奔丧

attend the funeral.

在徐州见着了父亲,看见满园狼藉的东西,又想起祖母,不禁簌簌得流下眼泪

I met father in Xuzhou, the sight of the mess in the courtyard and the thought of grandma started tears trickling down my cheeks

父亲说,事已至此,不必难过,好在天无绝人之路

Father said,“now that things have come to this position, its no use crying, fortunately, heaven always leaves one a way out.

天无绝人之路

heaven always leaves one a way out.

回家变卖典质,父亲还了亏空。

After arriving home in Yangzhou, father paid off all the debts by selling or pawning things.

又借钱办了丧事,这些日子,家种光景很是惨淡,一半为了丧事,一半为了父亲赋闲

He has borrowed money to meet the funeral expenses. Between grandma’s funeral and father’s unemployment, our family was then in reduced circumstances

拮据的境遇, 穷困

in reduced circumstances

Between ,,,,, and ,,,,,,

一般由于,,,一半由于,,,,

我可以不说一句讨情的话,不看一幅难看的嘴脸,

I am saved my humiliation of begging for help or the nasty look on somebody’s face.

堂堂正正的凭我的真实身份东西归

I can travel with my true identity.

这使大多数坐轮船坐飞机的朋友办不到的

This is something quite beyond the majority of those traveling by steamer and aircraft.

决定了之后,有两个朋友特来劝阻,一位从李家托,一位从柏斌,不怕水程跋涉,为的是关爱我,瞧得起我。

After I have made up my mind, in spite of the difficult boat journey all the way from Lijia tuo and Baibin respectively, came to dissuade me from taking the wooden boat out of concern and respect for me.

他们说了种种的理由,预想了种种可能的障害

They enumerated various reasons against my decisions as well as possible mishaps.

结末说,还是再考虑以下的好

Advising me in the end to re-consider the matter.

我真感谢他们,当然不敢说不必再行考虑,

I felt grateful to them, and of course refrained from showing any reluctance to reconsider the matter.

只好半开玩笑的说,吉人天相,安慰他们激动的心情

By way of allaying their anxiety, I said jokingly, “a good guy always enjoys Heaven’s protection”

半开玩笑的说

said jokingly

现在,他们接到我安全到达汉口的消息,他们也真的安慰了

Now, the subsequent news of safe arrival in Hankou have set their minds at rest

安心  安慰

set their minds at rest

不说我自己犯不着,人家也太费心了

Neither is it necessary for me to go to all that trouble, nor should I bother other people for that matter.

重庆路有那么难走

Going around is hard in the city of Chongqing.

公共汽车站排队往往等上一个半个钟头

You will queue up for at least 30 minutes or more to get on a bus.

天天为了票子去跑,实在吃不消

It is really too much for me to go about for the ticket everyday.

再说和自己暂时脱离关系,换上他人的身份,虽然人家不大爱惜名气我却不愿滥用那些名气。

As to the temporary divorce from my old self and the concealing of my identity, I hate to usurp al those designations though other people may think otherwise.

我不是部属,不是秘书,不是某人,不是某人的父亲,我是我。

I am not a government employee, nor a so-and-so, nor so-and-so’s father. I am myself.

我毫无成就,样样无长进

I am just an ordinary man with no urge to do better

我可不愿和任何人易地而处。

So I hate to change places with anybody else, whether for a while or for good.

为了走一趟路,必须易地而处,在我总觉得被剥夺了什么似的

To change places just for the sake of a trip make me feel like being deprived.

至于穿灰布棉军服更为难了,为了走一趟路才穿上那套军服,岂非亵渎了那套衣服?

Wouldn’t it be sinful for me to wear the grey-cloth cotton-padded uniform for nothing more than making a single trip?

亵渎的人固然不少,我可总不忍

Though many other people violate the taboo, I for my part cannot bear to do the same.

这一套又是书生之见

This again is the impractical view of the bookish person.

抱着书生之见,我决定作木船

It was with the impractical view that I decided to take a wooden boat.

木船比不上轮船,更比不上飞机,

It is absolutely true that the wooden boat can not be compared with the steamer, much less an airplane.

千真万确

It is absolutely true that

可是绝不用请托,绝不用找关系,也无所谓黑票

But there is no need for soliciting help or seeking personal connections, nor the need for so-called “black ” ticket

你要找船,找运输行,或者自己到码头上去找,

All you need to do is contact the transport company, or go direct to the wharf to look for a wooden boat.

找着了,言明价钱,从重庆到汉口,每块钱花得明明白白

Once you have located it, you will know what the face is from Chongqing to Hankou, and every dollar will be paid for what it is worth, no more, no less.

每块钱花得明明白白

every dollar will be paid for what it is worth, no more, no less.

在这点上,我觉得坐木船好极了。

I find the wooden boat super in this respect.

于是你觉得好像有一线希望,又好像毫无把握

Thereupon you seem to see a ray of hope and may also feel uncertain of success

只有挨到下星期再去

All you can do is wait until then

跑了不知多少次,终于有了眉目

After making you don’t know how many visits, there eventually appear signs of a positive outcome

又要往这一处签字,那一处盖章,看种种的脸色,侯种种的传唤

Then you have to go here and there to get a signature or a seal, meet with all sorts of cold reception and wait for summonses

传唤

summons

为的是一份充分的证据

All for the purpose of getting a certificate to buy a ticket with.

票子到手,身份可以改变了

Once with a ticket in hand, your status automatically changes.

什么机关的秘书,什么长的秘书

You can call yourself the employee of a certain government office or a certain official’s secretary.

什么的本人或是父亲

You can call yourself so-and-so’s father,

或者改名换姓,或者姓名依旧

You can keep your original name or have it changed.

总之要和你自己暂时断绝关系

In short, you have to temporarily break off relationship with your old self

最有味的是冒充什么部的士兵,

The funniest thing is when you try to pass from the soldier of some army unit.

非但要改名换姓,还得穿上灰布棉军服,腰间束条皮带。

You must not only have name changed, but also wear a grey-cloth cotton-padded army uniform with a leather belt around you your waist

听了这些,我就死了请托找关系的念头

All this has killed my idea of soliciting help or seeking personal connections.

请托找关系

soliciting help or seeking personal connections.

即使饿得要死,也不定要去奉承颜色某差事,为了一张票子去求教人家。

I disdain to go humbly begging for a job even when I am starving, let alone to go asking for other people’s help in getting me a mere ticket

奉承颜色

go humbly begging for

一个人既不能独立转移风气,也该在消极方面有所自守,帮同作弊,赞助越出常轨的事儿,总可以免了吧。

If it is beyond one’s capacity to single-handedly stem the prevailing social evils, one should at least be self-disciplined so as not to make matters worse.

这自然是书生之见,不免通达的人一笑

All this is undoubtedly the pedantic view of a bookish person---a view which must sound ridiculous to all sensible gentlemen

再说请托关系,听人家说他们的经验,简直与某差事一样的麻烦

Some people told me from their own experience that soliciting help or seeking personal connections is something as difficult as hunting for a job.

v.搜寻

hunt for

在传达室恭候与在会客室恭候

You may be kept cooling your heels in a janitor’s office or a reception room before an interview is granted.

v.空等

cool one's heels

幸而见了那要见的人,他听说你要设法卖船票,或是飞机票,爱理不理的答复你说“困难的,,下个星期再来打

听把”Hearing that you are trying to get a steamer or air ticket, the much sought-after interviewer may reply in a cold and indifferent manner. Ah, that’s difficult,, come see me next week.

从重庆到汉口。我乘坐了木船

I took a wooden boat from ChongQing to Hankou

木船危险,当然知道

Of course I know it is risky to travel by wooden boat

一路上数不清的摊,礁石随处都是,要出事,随时都可以出

With countless shoals and reefs to negotiate, accidents may happen any time

经历

negotiate

还有盗匪----实在是最可怜的人,他们种地没得吃,有力气没处出卖,当了兵经常饿肚子,无奈何只好出此下策

To complicate the matters, there are also bandits lurking around---those pitiful fellow countrymen who, unable to ward off starvation by farming or soldiering or whatnot, have been reduced to the disreputable business as a last resort

v.避开, 挡住

ward off

出此下策

as a last resort

假如碰见了,把铺盖或者身上的衣物带下去也是异常难处的事儿

I’ll be a real fix if they should rob me of, say bedding or clothes

但是会转来想,从前没有轮船,没有飞机,历来走川江的人都坐木船,

Now, on reflection, I realize that in the days before steamers and aircraft came into use, people used to travel by wooden boat up and down the Sichuan section of the Yangtze river.

开始被使用

Come into use

川江

Sichuan section of the Yangtze river.

就是如今,上上下下的还有很多人在那里坐木船

Even today, many still continue to do so.

如果统计起来,人数该比坐轮船飞机的人多

Statistics will invariably show a higher percentage of people traveling by wooden boat than by steamer or aircraft

人家能坐,我就不能坐嘛?我又不比人家高贵

Why shouldn’t I do the same? Why should I think it beneath myself to travel by wooden boat?

至于危险,不考虑也罢,轮船飞机就不危险吗?

As for safety, is it less dangerous to travel by steamer or aircraft?

安步当车似乎最为妥当了,可是人家屋檐边也可以掉下来一张瓦片来。

Going on foot seems to be the best choice, but a tile falling off the eaves of somebody’s house might prove equally disastrous to foot passengers.

要绝对避险就莫要做人

Enjoying absolute safety is humanly impossible

要坐轮船坐飞机也有办法,

It stands to reason why I can go by steamer or aircraft if I care to.

显而易见的  顺理成章

stand to reason

只要各方去找关系,托人或干脆买张黑票。

I can simply go fishing around for help or personal connections, or just buy a “black” ticket

找关系托人

fishing around for help or personal connections,

先说黑票,且不谈付出超过定额的钱,力有不及,现有不甘

But I will have to pay more than the regular price for a black ticket, which I can ill afford and I disdain to do.

力有不及

can ill afford

不甘

disdain to do

单单一个黑字,就让我不愿领教

And the very word “black” generates in me a feeling of repulsion.

不愿领教

generates in me a feeling of repulsion.

我在这上面无意识的会感到一种温暖的慰藉

From that I unknowingly derive some sort of warm solace.

慰藉

solace.

可是这些旧友一年比一年少了

But old friends are dwindling away year by year.

减少, 缩小

dwindle away

本来是屈指可数的几个,少去一个是无法弥补的。

They are few in number, so the disappearance of any of them is an irreparable loss to me.

每当听到一个旧友的消息,总要惆怅多时

The news of any old pal’s death will invariably made me sad in my heart for a long, long time

学校教育给我们的好处并非只是灌输知识。

Imparting knowledge is not the sole advantage of school education.

最大的好处恐怕还在给与我们求友的机会上

Its greatest advantage is perhaps the opportunity it affords us for making friends

这好处我到了离学校以后才知道

It was not until I had already left school that I began to realize this advantage.

这几年来更加确切的体会到

And recent years I have come to understand it even more deeply.

深悔当时毫不自觉,马马虎虎的就过去了

I much regret that I have carelessly frittered my school days without making many friends

近来每日早晚在路上见到两两三三的携着书包,携了手或挽了肩膀走着的青年学生,

之乐Recently, every morning and evening, whenever I see school kids with satchels walking in twos and threes, hand in hand or shoulder in shoulder,

我总觉得艳羡他们有朋友

I always envy them for enjoying happiness of friendship, and inwardly offer them my best wishes.

这并不一定是人心不古,实可以说是人生的悲剧。

Though this is not necessarily due to the degeneration of the public morality, I do have good reasons to call it the tragedy of life.

人心不古

degeneration of the public morality

人到了成年以后,彼此都有生活的重担须负,入世即深,顾及的方面也自然加多起来,在交际上不许你不计较

People at middle age, with heavy burden of life and much experience in the ways of the world, have more scruples about this and that, and cannot choose but to become more calculating in social dealings till they start scheming against each other

入世即深

much experience in the ways of the world

结果彼此都勾心斗角,像七巧板似的只选定了某一方面和对方去结合。

They always keep a wary eye, as it were, on each other in their association.

勾心斗角

keep a wary eye on each other

这样的结合显然是不坚固的,尤其是现代这样什么都到了尖锐化的时代。

Such an association is of course fragile, especially in this modern age of prevailing sharp conflicts

在我自己交友中,最值得纪念的老师一些少年时代以来的朋友,

Of all my friends, those I have known since childhood are most worthy of remembrance.

这些朋友本来数目就不多,有些住在远地,联想会的机会也不可多得。

They are few in number, some of them live far away and we seldom have an opportunity to see each other.

他们有的年龄大过了我,有的笑我几岁

Some of them are older than I am, some a few years younger.

都是中年以上的人了

But all of us are in late mid-life.

平日个人走的方向不同,思想趣味境遇都不免互异,

Since we have each followed a different course in life, our ways of thinking, interests and circumstances are bound to differ.

 

course in life

大家晤谈起来,也常会遇到说不出的隔膜的情形。

And often we lack mutual understanding somehow or other in our conversation.

遇到说不出的

somehow or other

如果大家话旧,旧事是彼此共喻的,而且大半都是少年时代的事

Nevertheless, when we talk over old times, we will always agree on things in the past---mostly about things in our childhood days.

旧游如梦,把梦也似的,过去的少年时代重提,因谈话的进行,同时会联想起许多当时的事情。

While we retell our dream-like childhood days in the course of our conversation, numerous persons and scenes of bygone days will unfold again before your eyes, and we will feel like reliving the old days.

我常在这种时候感到一种快乐,同时也感到一种伤感,那情形好比老妇人突然在抽屉里或箱子里发现了他盛年

时的影片Often at the moment, I’ll feel at once happy and sad---like an old lady suddenly fishing out from her drawer or chest a photo of her taken in the bloom of her youth.

青春  风华正茂

bloom of youth

v.捞出, 摸索出, 捕尽鱼, 掏出

fish out

逢到和旧友谈话,就不知不觉地把话题转到旧事上去

When chatting away with my old friends, I am in the habit of unwittingly channeling the topic of conversation toward things of former days.

不知不觉地

unwittingly

和...聊天

chat with

不知不觉地

am in the habit of

真正的朋友,可能要算,“总角之交”或“竹马之交”了

Real friendship between two persons originates perhaps from the time of life when they were children playing innocently together.

在小学和中学的时代容易结成真正的友谊,那时彼此不感到生活的压迫,入世未深,

Real friendship is easily formed in primary school and middle school days when, being socially inexperienced and free from burden of life.

打算计较的念头也少,朋友的结成权由于志趣相近或性情适合,

You give little thought to personal gains or losses, and make friends entirely as a result of similar tastes and interests or congenial disposition.

差不多可以说是无所为的,性质也比较的纯粹

It is sort of friendship for friendship’s sake and is relatively pure in nature.

无所为的

friendship for friendship’s sake

20岁以后结成的友谊,大概已不免掺有各种各样颜色分子在内

Friendship among people in their 20’s, however is more or less colored by personal motives.

至于30岁40岁以后的朋友中间,颜色分子越多,友谊的真实成分也就不免因而愈少了

And friendship among those aged over 30 becomes correspondingly still less pure as it gets even more colored.

中年人的寂寞

Mid-life loneliness

我已是一个中年的人

I am already a middle-aged man.

一到中年,就有许多不愉快的现象,眼睛昏花了,记忆力衰退了,头发开始秃脱,而且变白了,意兴,体力,

什么都不如年轻时候。At middle age, I feel sad to find my eyesight and memory failing, hair graying and thinning, and myself no longer as fit as when I was young.

常会感到难以名言的寂寞情味

I often suffer from a nameless loneliness.

尤其是觉得难堪的是知友的逐渐减少和疏远,缺乏交际上温暖和慰藉

The most intolerable of all is the lack of friendly warmth and comfort due to the gradual passing away and estrangement of more and more old pals.

不消说,相识的人是随了年龄增加的,

Needless to say, the number acquaintances increases with one’s age

一个人年龄越大,走过的地方当过的职务越多,相识的人理应该越增加了。

The older one’s age gets, the more traveled one is and more work experiences one has, the more acquaintances one is supposed to have.

可是相识的人并不就是朋友

But the acquaintances are not friends.

我们和很多人相识,或是因了事务关系,或是因了偶然的机缘----如在别人请客的时候同席吃过饭之类

We come to know many people either in the way of business or by mere chance---say, having been at the same table at a dinner party.

见面时点头或握手,有事时走访或通信,口头上彼此也称为朋友,笔头上有时或称仁兄,诸如此类

We may be on nodding or hand-shaking terms, call each other “friend”, sometimes write to each other with the salutation of “Dear so-and-so”

on terms

友好, 关系良好

其实只是社交上的客套,和“顿首”,“百拜”同是仪式的虚伪

All these are, in fact, nothing but civilities of social life, as hypocritical as the polite formula dunshou(kowtow) or baibai(a hundred greetings) used after the signature of in old-faschioned Chinese letter writing.

这种交际可以说是社交,和真正的友谊相差甚远

We may call this social intercourse, but they seem to have very little in common with genuine friendship.

别的门类只是一些概论等类的入门书而已,

The rest, often called an outline or introduction, are merely rudiments of various subjects.

我不喜欢向别人或图书馆借书,借来的书,在我看来好像不过瘾似的,必要时自己买的才满足

I never care to borrow books from other people or library, it seems that books bought can better satisfy my bibliomania than books borrowed

不喜欢

never care to

这也可谓是一种占有的欲望

You may also attribute this to some sort of desire for personal possessions

买到了新书,一册册的加盖藏书印记,这是我最感到快悦的时候。

Whenever I have some new acquisitions, it is my great pleasure and satisfaction to stamp my ex libris on them one by one.

书籍到了我手里,我的习惯是先看序文,此看目录。

As soon as a new book is in my hand, I always read the preface first and then the table of contents.

页数不多的往往立刻通读

If it happens to be thin, I will finish reading it at one sitting.

立刻通读

finish reading it at one sitting.

一下子,一口气

at one sitting.

篇幅大的,只把正文任则一二章节,就插在书架上。

Otherwise, I often browse on or two chapters or sections before putting them into my bookshelf.

略加翻阅

browse on

除小说外,我少有全体读完的大部分书,

I seldom read thick books from cover to cover unless it is a novel.

全体读完

from cover to cover

只凭了购书当时的记忆,直到某册书是何种性质,其中大概有些什么什么可取的材料而已

By the dint of first impression it made on me at the time of buying, I have a rough idea of what a book is about and what useful materials in it are available to me

什么书在什么时候再去翻,连我自己也没有把握

But I have little idea which book is to be read or looked over again at what time.

完全要看一个时期一个时期的兴趣

This is completely subject to the whims of the moment

关于此事,我常自比为古时的皇帝,而把插在书架上的书譬诸列屋二居的得宫女

This often prompts me to liken myself and the books on my shelves respectively to an ancient emperor and his concubines housed separately in a row of adjoining rooms.

我虽然爱买书,而对于书却不甚爱惜

Much as I love books, I took little care of them.

读书的时候,常在读书的时候把我认为紧要的处所标出

In my reading of books, I often mark out what I regard as important in a book.

线装书大概用笔加圈。

If it is a thread-bound Chinese book, I use a writing brush to draw small circles as markings.

洋装书竟用红铅笔画重重的线。

Otherwise, I use a red pencil to draw heavy underlines,

经我读的书,统体干净得很少

Consequently, the books I have read are rarely clean.

据说,任何爱吃糖果的人,只要教她到糖果铺去做事,见了糖果就会生厌。

It is said that those who have a great liking for candies will sicken to see candy when later they happen to work in a candy store.

喜欢做,,,得人

those who have a great liking for

自我如书店后,对书的贪念也消除不少了。

Likewise, since I began to work in a bookstore, my obsession with books has been very much on a decline.

可不免要故态复萌,想买这种,想买哪种

Nevertheless, I still cannot help slipping back into the same old rut, eager to buy this and that book

故态复萌

slipping back into the same old rut

这大概因为糖果要用嘴去吃,摆放毫无意义,而书却可以买了不看,任其只管插在书架上的原因吧

This is probably because candies are to be eaten with mouth and not worth keeping as knickknacks while books can be bought without being read and left on the shelves.

每天花一点钟看10页有用的书,每年可看3600多页书,30年可读11万页书。

Yet what a remarkable man he was! If you spend one hour reading 10 pages of a book, you can finish reading more than 3600 pages a year, and 110,000 pages in 30 years.

诸位,11万页书可以让你成为一个学者了,

Dear students, 110,000 pages will be quite enough to make you a learned man of you.

可是每天看三种小报也得费你一点钟的功夫,四桌麻将也得费你一点钟的光阴。

It will take you one hour to read three tabloids, and one and half hours to finish four rounds of Mah-jong a day.

看小报呢,玩麻将还是努力成为一个学者,全靠你们自己的选择

Reading tabloids, playing mah-jong or striving to be a learned man, the choice lies with you

全靠你们自己的选择

the choice lies with you

(责任, 权力等)在于..., 属于..., 是...的职权

lie with

易不胜说,你最大的责任是把你这块材料铸造成器

Henric Ibsen says, it is your supreme duty to cast yourself into a useful implement

学习便是铸器的工具。抛弃了学问便是毁了你们自己

learning is the casting mould. Forsake learning, and you will ruin yourself.

再见了,你们的母校要眼睁睁看着你们十年后成什么器。

Your alma mater is watching eagerly to see what become of you ten years from now.

眼睁睁

eagerly

不成问题

no object.

节衣缩食去,,,

cut down on food and clothing to

To do one a good turn

不会辜负某人

20年来,我生活费中至少1/10,2是消耗在书上的

For the past 20 years, books have eaten into at least 10-20 of my pocket

我生活费

my pocket

我的房子里比较贵重的东西就是书。

Now the only things of some value under my roof, any, are my books.

我一向没有对于任何问题作高深研究的野心,因之所买的书范围较广,宗教,艺术,文学,社会,哲学,历史,

生物,各方面差不多都有一点。Since I have never entertained ambition for making a profound study of any subject, the books I have acquired cover almost everything---religion, art, literature, sociology, history and biology, etc.

最多的是各国文学名著的一本,与本国古来的诗文集

Most of them are Chinese translation works by famous foreign writers and anthologies of poetry and prose through the ages

诸位毕业同学:

Dear students of the graduating class

你们现在要离开母校了,我没有礼物什么可以送给你们,只好送你们一句话吧

As you are leaving your alma mater, I have nothing to offer you as a gift except a word of advice.

这句话是:永远不要忘记做学问

My advice is: never give up your pursuit of learning .

以前的功课也许有一大部分是为了这张毕业文凭,不得已而作的。

you have perhaps finished your college courses mostly for obtaining the diploma, or, in other words, out of sheer necessity.

从今以后,你们可以以自己的心愿去自由研究了,

However, from now on your are free to follow your own bent in the choice of studies.

趁年富力强的时候,努力做一种专门的学问

While you are in the prime of life, why not devote yourself to a special field of study.

少年是一去不复返得,等到精力衰竭,想要做学问也来不及了

Youth will be soon gone never to return. And it will be too late for you to go into scholarship when in your declining years

即为吃饭计,学问也决不会辜负人

Knowledge will do you a good turn even as a means of subsistence.

吃饭而不求学问,三年五年之后,你们都要被后来少年淘汰掉的。

If you give up studies while holding a job, you will be in a couple o years have had yourself replaced by younger people.

到那时想要做点学问来补救,恐怕就太晚了

It will be too late to remedy the situation by picking up studies again.

有的人说,出去做事后,生活问题急需解决,哪有功夫去读书?

Some people say, “once you have a job, you will come up against the urgent problem of making a living”

v.碰到遭遇

come up against

哪有工夫去读书?

How can you manage to find time to study?

即使要做学问,没有图书馆,也没有实验室,哪能做学问?

Even if you want to, will it be possible with no library or laboratory.

我要对你们说,凡是要等到有了图书馆才读书的,有了图书馆也不肯读书,

Now let me tell you this. Those who refuse to study for lack of a library will most probably continue to do so even though there is a library.

凡是等到有了实验室才做研究的人,有了实验室也不肯做研究

And those who refuse to do research for lack o a laboratory will most probably continue to do so even though a laboratory is available.

你有了决心要研究一个问题自然会节衣缩食去买书,自然会想出法子来设置仪器

As long as you set your mind on studies, you will naturally cut down on food and clothing to buy books or do everything possible to acquire necessary instruments.

v.决心要

set one's mind on

至于时间,更不成问题,

Time is no object.

达尔文一生多病,不能多作工,每天只能做一点钟的工作。

Charles could work only one hour a day due to ill health.

但病急了,身上痛苦,心里焦急,等不得了,心里想到

But, what with pain and worry, he could ill afford to wait any longer

等不及了

could ill afford to wait any longer

心里想到,好在王大夫同汪大夫差不多,就让他试试看吧。

So he said to himself, “luckily, Vet wang is about the same with Dr. Wang, why not let Vet Wang have a try.”

于是这位牛医汪大夫走近床前,用医牛的法子给差不多先生治病。

Thereupon, the Vet walked up to his bed to work on him as if he was a cow.

不上一点钟,差不多先生就一命呜呼了

Consequently, Mr. Cha Buduo before an hour was out.

一命呜呼(诙谐说法)

kicked his bucket

差不多先生差不多要死的时候,一口气断断续续地说:活人同死人也差不多,凡事差不多就行了,何必那么认

真呢?When Mr. Cha Buduo was about to breathe his last, he uttered intermittently in one breath, live or die, its about the same, whatever we do its ok to be just about right… why take it so seriously?

v.断气

breathe one's last

他说完了这句格言,方才断气了。

As soon as he finished this pet phrase of his, he stopped breathing.

格言

pet phrase

他死后,人们都赞扬差不多先生样样事情看得透,想得通

After Mr. Cha Buduo’s death, people all prasied him for his way of seeing through things and his philosophical approach to life.

大家都说他一生不肯认真,不肯算账,不肯计较,真是一位有德行的人

They say that he refused to take things seriously all his life and that was never calculating or particularly personal gains or losses. So they called him a virtuous man

于是大家给他起一个死后的法号,叫他做圆通大师

And honored him with the posthumous reverent title Mater of Easy-Going

谥号

posthumous reverent title

他的名誉越传越远,越久越大。

His name has spread far and wide and become more and more celebrated with the passing of time

无数的人都学她的榜样,于是人人都成了一个差不多先生

Innumerable people have come to follow his example, so that everybody has become a Mr. Cha Buduo.

学她的榜样

follow his example

---然而中国从此就成为一个懒人国了

But lo, china will hence be a nation of lazybones.

掌柜的生气了,常常骂他。

The shop owner was infuriated and often took him to task

他只是笑嘻嘻赔小心道:千字比十字只多一小撇,不是差不多马?

He would only explain apologetically with a grin, the character “千” differs from the character “十” in merely having a short stroke, aren’t they about the same?

有一天,他为了要紧的事,要搭火车到上海去。

One day, he wanted to go to shanghai by train on urgent business.

他从从容容的走到火车站,迟到了两分钟,火车已经开走了

He arrived at the railway station unhurriedly only to find the train had already gone.

他白瞪着眼,望着远远的火车上的煤烟,摇摇头说,

He stood staring helplessly at the smoke belching from the diminishing train, and shook his head,

只好明天再走了,今天同明天走,也差不多。

All I can do now is to leave tomorrow, after all, today and tomorrow are about the same.

可是火车公司未免太认真了,8:30开和8:32开不是差不多吗?

But isn’t the railway company taking it too seriously? What’s the difference between departing at 8:30 and 8:32?

他一面说,一面慢慢的走回家。心里总不明白为什么火车不肯等他两分钟

He walked home slowly while talking to himself and kept puzzling over why the train hadn’t waited for him for two minutes.

有一天,他突然得了急病,赶快叫家人去请东街的汪医生

One day, he suddenly fell ill and told his family to find Dr. Wang of the Eastern Street.

那家人急急忙忙的跑去,一时寻不到东街的汪大夫,却把西街的牛医汪大夫请来了。

The latter went in a hurry, but couldn’t find the physician on the Eastern street. So he fetched instead Veterinarian Wang of West Street.

差不多先生躺在病床上,知道寻错了人。

Mr. Cha Buduo, lying on his sickbed, knew that a wrong person had been brought home.

我们屋后有半亩的隙地。

Behind our house there lay half a mou of vacant land.

母亲说“让他荒芜着怪可惜,不如辟来做花生院吧”

My mother said “it’s a pity to let it lie waste. Since you all like to eat peanuts so very much, why not plant some here?”

我们几个姐弟和小丫头都很喜欢,买种的买种,动土的动土,灌园的灌园.

That exhilarated us children and our servants girls as well, and soon we started buying seeds, ploughing the land and watering the plants.

过不了几个月,我们居然收获了。

We have gathered in a good harvest in a couple of months

母亲说“今晚我们可以做一个收获节,也请你们的爹爹来尝尝我们的新花生,如何?”

Mother said “how about having a party this evening to celebrate the harvest and inviting your father to have a taste of our newly-harvested peanuts?”

我们都答应了

We all agreed

母亲把花生做成了好几样食品,还吩咐这节期要在园里的茅亭举行

mother made quite a few varieties of goodies out of the peanuts and told us the party would be held in the thatched pavilion of the peanut plot.

那天晚上天色不大好

It looked like rain that night

可是爹爹也来到,实在很难得

yet, to our great joy, daddy came nevertheless.

爹爹问道“实在很难的”

Daddy asked “do you like peanuts?”

我们都争着回答“爱”

Yes we do, we vied in giving the answer.

谁能把花生的好处说出来?

Which of you could name the good things of the peanut?

姐姐说“花生的气味很美”

Peanut tastes good, said my elder sister.

花生可以制油

Peanut produce edible oil.

无论何等人都可以用贱价买他来吃,都喜欢吃它,这就是他得好处。

Peanuts are so cheap, said I, that anyone can afford to ear them. Peanuts are everyone’s favorite. That’s why we call peanuts good

老螃蟹变得不安了,觉得全身太硬了。

An old crab grew restless. Finding himself stiff all over.

自己知道要脱壳了。

He knew it was time for him to moult his shell.

他跑来跑去的寻,想寻个洞穴。

He dashed here and there in search of a cave to hide.

躲了身子,将石子堵了穴口,隐隐的脱壳。

He was going to block up the mouth of the cave so that he could moult his shell in secret.

他知道外面脱壳是危险的,身子还软,要被别的螃蟹吃去得。

He knew it would be very dangerous to moult in the open because, with his new shell being still soft, he might be eaten up by other crabs.

这并非空害怕,她的确亲眼见过。

This fear is not groundless for he had really seen it happen to other moulting crabs

他慌慌张张的走

He kept moving about in a hurry.

旁边的螃蟹问他道:“老兄,你何以这般慌张?”

A nearby crab asked “hey, brother, what’s the rush?”

你何以这般慌张

what’s the rush?”

他说“我要脱壳了”

“I am going to moult” answered the old crab

你在这里蜕不就很好吗,我还要帮你呢。

Wouldn’t it be all right to moult right here? I could help you with it.

那可太怕人了

How horrible that would be !

你不怕洞穴里别的东西,却怕我们的同种吗?

You mean while you are not scared of other things in the cave you’re scared of your own kind.

我不是怕同种,

No, I’m not scared of my own kind

那你还怕什么呢?

Then what are you scared of?

就怕你要吃掉我

Nothing but being eaten by you.

历史的道路不会是坦平的。

The course of history is never smooth.

有时走到艰难险阻的境界。这是全靠雄健的精神才能够冲过去的

It is sometimes beset with difficulties and obstacles and nothing short of heroic spirit can help surmount them.

这是全靠雄健的精神才能够冲过去的

nothing short of heroic spirit can help surmount them.

一条浩浩荡荡的长江大河,有时流到很宽阔的境界,平原无际,一泻万里。

A mighty long river sometimes flows through a broad section with plains lying boundless on either side, its waters rolling on non-stop for thousands upon thousands of miles.

一泻万里

rolling on non-stop for thousands upon thousands of miles

很宽阔的境界

a broad section

有时流到很逼狭的境界,两岸丛山跌岭,绝壁断崖,江河流于其间,回环曲折,极其险峻。

Sometimes it comes up against a narrow section flanked high mountains and steep cliffs,winding through a course with many a perilous twist and turn.

回环曲折,极其险峻

winding through a course with many a perilous twist and turn.

民族生命的进展,其经历亦复如是。

A nation, in the course of its development, fares likewise.

人类在历史上的生活正如旅行一样

The historical course of a man’s life is just like a journey.

旅途上的征人所经过的敌方,有时是坦荡平原,有时是崎岖险路

A traveller on a long journey passes through now a broad, level plain, now a rugged hazardous road.

有时,,,,有时,,,,

Now,,,now,,,

征人

A traveller on a long journey

志于旅途的人,走道平坦的地方,因是高高兴兴的往前走,走道崎岖的险境,愈是奇趣横生,觉得在此奇绝壮

绝的境界,愈能感到一种冒险的美趣While A determined traveller cheerfully continues his journey upon reaching a safe and smooth place, he finds it still more fascinating spectacle of which, he feels, is better able to generate in him a wonderful sensation of adventure.

一种冒险的美趣

a wonderful sensation of adventure.

奇趣横生

fascinating

中华民族现在所逢的史路,是一段崎岖险阻的道路。

The chinese nation is now confronted with a rugged and dangerous section of its historical course.

在这一段道路上,实在亦有一种奇绝壮绝的境致,使我们经过此段道路的人,感的一种壮美的趣味。

Nevertheless, there is also in this section a spectacle of enormous magnificence that inspires us passers-by a delightful sensation of splendor.

但这种壮美的趣味,是非有雄健的精神的,不能够感觉得到的。

And this delightful sensation, however, can only be shared by those with a heroic spirit.

我们的扬子江,黄河,可以代表我们的民族精神,长江黄河遇见沙漠,遇见山峡都是浩浩荡荡的往前流过去,

以成其浊流滚滚,一泄万里的魄势。

The two mighty rivers negotiate deserts and gorges until their turbid torrents surge forward with irresistible force.

So that finally.

until

目前的艰难境界,哪能阻抑我们民族生命的前进。

The present crisis can never obstruct the advance of out national life.

我们应该拿出雄健的精神,高唱着进行的曲调,在这悲壮歌声中,走过这崎岖险阻的道路。

Let us brace up out spirits and march through this rugged, dangerous road to the tune of our solemn , stirring songs.

要知在艰难的国运中建造国家,亦是人生最优趣味的事

The greatest joy of life, mind you, is to build up our country during its most difficult days.

mind you,

Mind what ia say///however

0

阅读 评论 收藏 转载 喜欢 打印举报/Report
前一篇:2012年07月12日
  • 评论加载中,请稍候...
发评论

    发评论

    以上网友发言只代表其个人观点,不代表新浪网的观点或立场。

    < 前一篇2012年07月12日
      

    新浪BLOG意见反馈留言板 电话:4000520066 提示音后按1键(按当地市话标准计费) 欢迎批评指正

    新浪简介 | About Sina | 广告服务 | 联系我们 | 招聘信息 | 网站律师 | SINA English | 会员注册 | 产品答疑

    新浪公司 版权所有