Catherine:Can you believe how much weight Lisa has gained?
凱特琳:妳能相信麗莎胖那么多嗎?
Carly:That’s not nice.
卡莉:這樣說別人不大好吧。
Catherine:It’s true. She’s always eating.
凱特琳:是真的。她老是吃個不停。
Carly:Well,that’s the pot calling the kettle black.
卡莉:呃,別五十步笑百步了。
Catherine:What’s that supposed to mean?
凱特琳:妳是什么意思?
Carly:Let me just put it this way; you’re not exactly thin yourself.
卡莉:我這樣說好了,妳自己其實也不瘦。
Catherine:It’s my clothes. They must have shrunk in the dryer.
凱特琳:是衣服的關係啦。它們一定是在烘衣機裡縮水了。
Carly:If you say so.
卡莉:隨你怎么說嘍。
[多學一點點] 五十步笑百步
pot指“鍋子”,kettle是“水壺”。煮飯的鍋和燒開水的壺都會被爐火燒得焦黑,所以鍋子沒資格笑水壺黑,兩者不過是半斤八兩。
a watched pot never boils 急不得
watched 是指“被盯著的”,boil 指“水煮開”。“a watched pot never boils”字面的意思是“眼睛盯著看的壺煮不開”,指愈心急,等的時間就特別長,也就是“急不得”、“欲速則不達”的意思。
例:A watched pot never boils. It will probably take 30 minutes to get to the next stop.(急也沒用。到下一站大概還要30分鐘。)
go to pot 每況愈下
例:That doesn’t help at all. Your health is going to pot.(妳這樣一點幫助也沒有。妳的健康正每況愈下。)
be supposed to 應該……
例:You’re not supposed to ask her out. She is your boss’s girlfriend.(你不該約她出去。她是你老闆的女朋友。)
let me put it this way 我這樣說好了
例:Let me put it this way. I think we need to polish up our
skills.(我這樣說好了。我覺得我們需要再磨練一下技巧。)


加载中…