加载中…
个人资料
我的秘密花园
我的秘密花园
  • 博客等级:
  • 博客积分:0
  • 博客访问:11,778
  • 关注人气:8
  • 获赠金笔:0支
  • 赠出金笔:0支
  • 荣誉徽章:
相关博文
推荐博文
谁看过这篇博文
加载中…
正文 字体大小:

帮助人是一种崇高

(2009-11-07 18:44:27)
标签:

杂谈

Morning,ladies and gentlemen.

早上好,女士们先生们。

Last summer ,I volunteered to work as an English teacher in a primary school for children of migrant workers.

去年夏天,我自愿在一所外地农民工子弟当起一名英语教师。

To be accurate,I didn`t volunteer.I was dragged in,literally.

确切地说,我并不是自告奋勇主动参加的。

When my friends first hit upon the idea of his project. I was all against it.

我其实是被拽着参加的。当我的朋友首次提出这个计划时,我是完全反对的。

“What? To spent my vacation standing in the heat.

“什么?让我整个假期冒着酷暑。

Yelling at a bunch of nine-year-olds who couldn`t even speak proper Mandar in Chinese/

对着一帮9岁大的小孩大声嚷嚷,他们甚至连普通话都说不标准。

And besides,there is no pay fo my toil.No,I am definitely not going .”But my friends twisted my arms to have me join them.

而且,我的辛苦工作是无偿服务,不,我绝对不会去的。但是在朋友们的坚持下,我还是去了。

Unexpectedly,the first lesson I taught turned out a lesson for me.

出乎意料的是,我教的第一堂课却变成了我的第一课.

The moment I stepped into the shabby classroom ,I was touched by the loud,respectful voices in unison;

当我踏进那间破旧的教室,我被一阵充满敬意、整齐的喊声深深打动了。

“Good morning,teacher!”instead of fooling around,

“老师,早上好!“这些孩子们没有四处打闹,

The children were thirsty for knowledge and efficient in absorbing everything I was able to give them.

对知识如饥似渴的他们有效的吸收我教给他们的所有知识。

This made me despise myself for I had`t even prepared for the class。

这让我鄙视自己,因为我事先根本没有备课。

During the break,I leaned over the squeaky desk,chatting with a sweaty boy in the front row:

课间休息时,我靠着一张吱吱作响的桌子旁,与前排一位满身大汗的男孩聊起天来:

“Without air-conditioning,it`s really hot here.Are you tired?”

“这里没有空调,实在太热了。你感到累吗?

“Not at all,”said he,shaking his head.“It`s fine here.My Dad builds asphalt roads,That is really tiring and hot.”

“一点都不。”他摇摇头说,“这里很好。我爸爸在修沥青公路。那才真正又热又累人。”

As summer advanced, my enthusiasm as a teacher grew.

随着夏天的推移,我作为一名老师的热情在上涨。

I prepared my lesson carefully and even used some methods my teachers used.

我认真地备课,甚至采用了我老师曾经用过的教学方法。

I organized many group activities to give the kids fun.Strangely enough,the heat was also becoming less and less unbear able.

我组织了许多小组活动让孩子们玩的开心。奇怪的是,这酷暑热浪也逐渐让人能忍受了。

Soon,my one-month volunteer work came to an end.

不久,我为期一个月的志愿活动已经接近尾声。

When I was leaving my last class,I turned back and saw smiling faces and waving hands.

当我结束最后一堂课时,我转过身,看到那张张笑脸和许多双挥动的手。

Never before had I ever had such a feeling of sadness,which was,never theless,mixed with a sense of enrichment,

我从未感到过如此伤心,但是这种感觉却夹杂着充实.

Fulfillment and happiness,I was paid for my work,amply paid,not in terms of money, but something more a valuable.

满足和幸福。我的工作得到了回报,而且获益很大。这种报偿不是用金钱来衡量的。而是其它一些更珍贵的东西。

My English was improved.I was able to teach it,althouth not very professional,I learned about the grassroots-level society.

我的英语水平得到了提高。虽然不是很专业,但我可以胜任这份教学工作了。我了解到了基层社会。

Inside myself a heat is growing,a heart that not beats for myself,but cares for others as well.

我的内心激情澎湃,这不单单是对自己的鞭策,也是在关心着其它人。

The volunteer work gave me a precious little chance to say thanks to people like the little boy`s father,

这份自愿工作给了我一次难得的机会向诸如那位小男孩的父亲一样的人们表达谢意.

Who construct highways and under grounds,build up mordern skyscrapers,and make our cities more and more beautiful.

他们修建高速公路和地铁、建设现代摩天大楼,让我们的城市越来越漂亮。

To help the children with their English was all I could do,at present,to show my gratitude to these unsung heroes.

而要表达我对这些无句英雄的感激之情,我目前力所能及的事情只是给他们小孩教英语。

The world may not have been fair to them,

这个社会可能对他们不太公平

So privileged and blessed people like me are obliged to do whatever we can to help make their life better.

所以我们这些幸运和幸福的人有义务尽我们所能,让他们生活得更好一些。W、

What I ever {whatever} I do for them,however,

然而,我所做的事情微不足道。

I know it cannot be compared with what they have done to improve the quality of life in our cities.

我知道,比起他们为提高我们的城市生活质量所做的贡献,

Ladies and gentlemen,now I realizd what volunteering shouldn`t be a one-time personal experience.

女士们先生们,现在我意识到志愿活动不应是一次个人经历。

It should be a lifetime activity of everybody.

这应该成为每个人的一种终生行为。

Many of us are now offering assistance to the needy and to each other,and our efforts have indeed made a difference.

现在我们中的很多人都在为彼此和那些需要帮助的人提供援助。我们这些努力确实是能改变现状.

Whether we are helping children with their schooling,or caring for the elderly in nursing homes,

不管我们是在教育方面帮助孩子们,还是在敬老院照顾老人们,

And helping out in 2008 Beijing Olympic.

或者是参加2008年北京奥运会的自愿活动。

We will not only contribute to the harmony of the world but elevate our selves as well.

这些都不只是为社会的和谐贡献自己的力量,同时也是在提升自己的道德修养。

Emerson once said,“it`s one of the most beautiful compensations of this life.

爱默生曾说:“此生最美好的一种报偿就是,

That no man can sincerely try to himself .”he was right.

任何对别人的真诚帮助必然也是对自己的帮助。”他说的对.

I hear that my university is going to organize another voluntary teaching program this summer.

我听说学校今年夏天将组织另一次义务教学活动。

This time I won`t be dragged in.I will volunteer.

这次我不会再被拽着参加了,我会自告奋勇。

 

 

Euthanasia is a way of relieving ill-people `s pain and saving them from the tortures of their illness.

安乐死是一种解除病人痛苦,从疾病的折磨中拯救他们的方法。

Do we have the right to take people`s lives for this reason?

那我们有权利因为这个原因剥夺他们的生命吗?

Or should the right to die be considered a “right” for terminally ill patients?

或者对于患有不治之症的病人而言,死亡的权力能算是一种权力吗?

Yuan:thank you very much for the question.

:when I am dead,dearest.,

当我死去时,我最亲爱的

Sing no sad songs for me

别为我哀歌悲切

Plant thou no roses at my head.

我的墓前不要栽玫瑰

No shady cypress tree

也不要柏树茂密

Be the green grass above me

愿绿茵覆盖我的身躯

With showers and dewdrops wet

还有那湿润的灵珠雨水

And, if thou wilt ,remember

假如你愿意,就把我怀念

And if thou wilt,forget

假如你愿意,就把我忘却

For many,death is not frightening ,for many,death is beautiful

对于很多人而言,死亡并不恐怖,对于很多人而言,死亡是美好的

For many ,suffering from incurable deadly diseases,death is longing

对于很多遭受不治之症折磨的人而言,死亡是一种渴望

But no matter what they think,we can`t make the decision for them.Death is their own business.

但无论他们想什么,我们都不能替他们做这个决定。死亡是他们自己的事情。

Whether for good intention or bad,if we decide to take another person`s life .It`s murder.

不管是出于好心是否,如果我们决定夺去别人的生命,这种行为就是谋杀.

We take it for granted that people suffering from long terminal diseases,want to die.

我们理所当然地认为那张长期遭受不治之症折磨的人们想结束自己的生命。

Perhaps is might be so,in some cases,but how are we to tell?we cann`t make the decision for others

可能某些情况下,事实是这样的,但我们怎么去判断呢?我们不能为其它人做这样的决定

Many old people,suffering from Alzheimer `s,seeming to be living a most pitiable life to us

但我们看来,许多患有老年痴呆症的老人似乎在过着一种最悲惨的生活

They no longer even recognize,the beloved ones around them

他们甚至认不出身边爱着他们的人

But perhaps they`re enjoying their life,because they are now cut off from any worldly affairs and problems.

但是他们可能也在享受他们的生活,因为现在他们与所有凡人俗事和问题完全隔绝

They are kind of reliving their childhood.they are perhaps ,enjoying it.we can`t terminate their life

他们重温他们的童年,他们可能很享受这样的生活。因此我们不能结束他们的生命

Some people,suffering from cancer ,seem to be living most painful life to us

在我们看来,一些备受癌症折磨的人似乎过着最痛苦的生活

What with all these torturing treatments and the prospect of death in front of them

因为摆在他们面前的是折磨人的治疗和死亡的命运

But,perhaps,deep down in their heart ,they want to go on,they want to live,they want to fight

但是也许他们内心深处还想继续走下去,继续活下去,他们想和病魔抗争

They want to feel every bit of sunshine on earth ,and hear the pitter –patter of rain in Spring

他们想沐浴地球上每一缕阳光,聆听春天里劈劈啪啪的雨滴声

Some people,vegetable people,can t express themselves,and to us they are not even living a life

一些人,还有一些植物人,他们无法表达自己的想法,这在我们看来,他们不是在生活

But how are we to know that they want to die?perhaps,deep down in their heart,they want to struggle

但是我们怎么知道他们想死呢?可能在他们的内心,他们想抗争

They want to see life conquering death.and besides,miracles do happen now and then

他们想见证生命战胜死亡,更何况,奇迹总是不时的发生

They are cases that,when a vegetable person is wakened from his long slumber by loving and caring

例如,通过精心照顾,爱的力量会让一位植物人从长期的沉睡中苏醒过来

If we rob him of that chance,we are committing murder,we are extinguishing hope

如果我们不给他机会,那我们就是在谋杀,我们就是在扼杀希望

If we make the right to  take anther person`s life away illegal I shudder to think what the consequences will be

如果我们拥有非法夺取别人生命的权力,我不敢想象后果是怎么样的

Perhaps some family,tired of taking care of an old person ,might get rid of him for that reason

可能一些厌烦了照顾一位老人的家庭会以这个原因而放弃老人

Perhaps a family full of daughters,sons,granddaughters,grandsons,gaping at the inheritance.

可能一个儿孙满堂的家庭会因为对遗产虎视眈眈

Will want to get rid of the old person for that reason,I really shudder to think the consequences

而想要放弃这位老人,我真的很害怕由此而产生的后果

Not !if I want to die,it`s my own business.no one is going to take that decision fo me

不!如果我想结束生命,这是我自己的事情,没有人能为我做这个决定

Yes!death might be a beautiful journey after the experience we have on earth

的确!可能当我们有了在这个尘世的各种经历后,死亡是一个美丽的旅程

But I don`t want to be hurried onto that journey by anybody else

但我不想被任何一个人驱赶到这个旅程

If I am determined my life is terminated by another person I will rise from my grave and haunt that person

如果我自己决定活下去,而我的生命断送于他人之手,我会从坟墓里爬出来,纠缠困扰这个人

“…he will always feel the shadows,he will always feel the rain

“….他将会感到阴魂不散,他将时刻感受到雨水

And he will always hear the nightingale weep on ,as if in pain

他将时刻听到宛如夜莺痛苦的哭泣

Thank you.

0

阅读 评论 收藏 转载 喜欢 打印举报/Report
  • 评论加载中,请稍候...
发评论

    发评论

    以上网友发言只代表其个人观点,不代表新浪网的观点或立场。

      

    新浪BLOG意见反馈留言板 电话:4000520066 提示音后按1键(按当地市话标准计费) 欢迎批评指正

    新浪简介 | About Sina | 广告服务 | 联系我们 | 招聘信息 | 网站律师 | SINA English | 会员注册 | 产品答疑

    新浪公司 版权所有