加载中…
个人资料
天河清
天河清
  • 博客等级:
  • 博客积分:0
  • 博客访问:90,573
  • 关注人气:43
  • 获赠金笔:0支
  • 赠出金笔:0支
  • 荣誉徽章:
相关博文
推荐博文
谁看过这篇博文
加载中…
正文 字体大小:

中级篇3  Lesson Eight

(2009-05-24 16:31:50)
标签:

洪恩环境英语

对话

教育

课文

英语

分类: 洪恩环境英语初中级篇

LESSON 8 HE HAD TO WORK TWO JOBS.
         他必须做两份工作

 

 

SCENE ONE: THE BENNETT FAMILY KITCHEN
第一幕:    班纳特家的厨房


JEFF: That smells good.
杰夫: 真香。
MRS. BENNETT: I hope so. How are you?
班纳特夫人: 希望如此。你好吗?
JEFF: I'm fine. I rehearsed today.
杰夫: 我很好。我今天排练了。
MR. BENNETT: How was the rehearsal?
班纳特夫人: 排练得怎么样?
JEFF: I had to work very hard.
杰夫: 我必须得非常努力地工作。
MRS. BENNETT: Dinner should be ready in a few minutes.

      I have to make special dinners for your father now.

      He's on a diet. Oh, I have to give him his medicine.
班纳特夫人: 晚饭一会儿就好。我现在得为你爸爸准备专门的饭菜, 他正在节食。噢, 我得给他吃药了。
JEFF: You look tired. What did you do today?
杰夫: 你看起来很累, 今天做什么了?
MRS. BENNETT: I had to do a lot of errands.

      First I had to go to the grocery store and buy things for dinner.

      Then I had to buy some medicine for your father.

      Then I had to return some books to the library.
班纳特夫人: 我干了许多跑腿儿的事儿。先是去食品杂货店买了些东西用来做晚饭, 然后给你爸买了点药, 然后去图书馆还书。
JEFF: What a busy day!. . . Can I go see Dad now ?
杰夫: 这一天可真忙!⋯⋯ 我现在能看看爸爸吗?
MRS. BENNETT: Sure. He's awake.
班纳特夫人: 当然。他醒着呢。
JEFF: Is the nurse with him?
杰夫: 护士和他在一起吗?
MRS. BENNETT: No. I sent her home an hour ago.
班纳特夫人: 不, 我一小时前让她回家了。

 

SCENE TWO: THE BEDROOM
第二幕:   卧室


JEFF: Can I come in?
杰夫: 我能进来吗?
MR. BENNETT: Come in, Jeff.
班纳特先生: 进来, 杰夫。
JEFF: What's that?
杰夫: 那是什么?
MR. BENNETT: These are old pictures and scrapbooks.

     I was thinking about the Bennett family.
班纳特先生: 这是一些旧照片与剪贴簿。我正在回忆班纳特家族呢。
JEFF: Ah, the old Bennetts.
杰夫: 啊, 是班纳特家庭的老辈人呀。
MR. BENNETT: They were a tough bunch. . .

      Look, here's my great-great-grandfather Patrick.
班纳特先生: 他们是意志坚强的人⋯⋯ 看, 这是我祖父的祖父, 帕特里克。
JEFF: Didn't he have to leave Ireland when he was only sixteen?
杰夫: 他在十六岁时就不得不离开爱尔兰, 是吗?
MR. BENNETT: Yes, he had to leave the country quickly.

      I never knew why. He never saw his mother and father again.
班纳特先生: 是的, 他必须尽快离开爱尔兰。我从不知道为什么。他再也没有见过他的爸爸和妈妈。
JEFF: You said he had to work very hard.
杰夫: 你曾说过他不得不非常努力地工作。
MR. BENNETT: Right. He built bridges and worked on the old steamships.

      He was a real character.
班纳特先生: 是的。他修过桥, 也在老式蒸汽船上工作过。他真了不起。
JEFF: Who's that?
杰夫: 那是谁?
MR. BENNETT: That's Sarah Bennett, my great-grandmother.
班纳特先生: 莎拉• 班纳特, 我的曾祖母。
JEFF: What did she do?
杰夫: 她是做什么的?
MR. BENNETT: She came to this country,

      and she started a laundry business from nothing.

     She had five children.
班纳特先生: 她来到这个国家, 白手起家, 办起了洗衣店。她有5 个孩子。
JEFF: Didn't her brother move west?
杰夫: 她的兄弟没去西部吗?
MR. BENNETT: Yes. He owned his own ranch.
班纳特先生: 去了。他拥有自己的农场。
JEFF: Did he have to fight outlaws?
杰夫: 他得与不法分子斗争吗?
MR. BENNETT: Yes, he did. He had to defend the land.
班纳特先生: 是的。他必须保护他的土地。
JEFF: That's Grandpa Al.
杰夫: 那是阿尔祖父。
MR. BENNETT: Right. What a man he was!
班纳特先生: 是的。他真是个男子汉!
JEFF: He had to support you and Grandma through the Depression.
杰夫: 在经济大萧条时期他得养活你们和祖母。
MR. BENNETT: He had to work two jobs.

       He put three children through school.
班纳特先生: 他得同时做两份工作。他供三个孩子念完了书。
JEFF: You had to work too.

       You had to work during the day and go to school at night.

       These Bennetts were tougher than I am.
杰夫: 你也得工作。白天工作, 晚上还得上课。班纳特家庭的这些人都比我坚强。
       I didn't have to leave the country or fight outlaws.

       I didn't have to start a business.

       I didn't have to work two jobs.

       I didn't even have to work weekends.
我不必离开自己的国家, 也不必与不法分子斗争。我不必自己做生意, 我不用做两份工作, 我甚至不用周末工作。
MR. BENNETT: No. You didn't have to do any of those things.

      But you're doing what you want to do. And you do it well. . .

      I think the other Bennetts would admire you.
班纳特先生: 不, 你不必做那些事。但是你做着你想做的, 而且做得不错⋯⋯ 我想班纳特家其他人也会称赞你的。
JEFF: This doesn't sound like you, Dad.
杰夫: 爸爸, 这话不像是你说的。
MR. BENNETT: I have more time to think these days, Jeff. . .

      I'm proud of you.
班纳特先生: 这阵子我有更多的时间想些事情, 杰夫, 我为你自豪。
MR. BENNETT: What's that?
班纳特先生: 那是什么?
JEFF: I brought you something, I hid it here last night.
杰夫: 我给你带来的一样东西。我昨晚藏在这儿了。
MR. BENNETT: What is it?
班纳特先生: 什么东西?
JEFF: A present.
杰夫: 一件礼物。
MR. BENNETT: You didn't have to get me a present.
班纳特先生: 你不用送我礼物。
JEFF: I didn't have to, but I wanted to. But you have to promise me something before you open it.
杰夫: 我不必送, 但我想送, 但在你打开它之前你得答应我一件事。
MR. BENNETT: What?
班纳特先生: 什么?
JEFF: You have to wait until I talk to the doctor before you use this.
杰夫: 你得等我与医生谈过之后才能用这个。
MR. BENNETT: OK.
班纳特先生: 好的。
JEFF: And you have to promise me something else.
杰夫: 你还得答应我另一件事。
MRS. BENNETT: What?
班纳特先生: 什么?
JEFF: You have to promise me that we can go out to the golf course together.
杰夫: 你得答应我, 我们可以一起去高尔夫球场。
MR. BENNETT: It's a deal. Now can I open my present?

       What is it? A baseball bat?
班纳特先生: 这事儿就这么定了。现在我能打开我的礼物了吗? 是什么? 一根棒球棒?

0

阅读 评论 收藏 转载 喜欢 打印举报/Report
  • 评论加载中,请稍候...
发评论

    发评论

    以上网友发言只代表其个人观点,不代表新浪网的观点或立场。

      

    新浪BLOG意见反馈留言板 电话:4000520066 提示音后按1键(按当地市话标准计费) 欢迎批评指正

    新浪简介 | About Sina | 广告服务 | 联系我们 | 招聘信息 | 网站律师 | SINA English | 会员注册 | 产品答疑

    新浪公司 版权所有